Adding speedload feature to old A5?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by kumpe, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Good to know! I've a friend who added Speed Load to his Remington Model 11, I think he only changed the Carrier. I'll get the details...
  2. thisisdonald

thisisdonald .22LR

Thanks for this... I'm looking through my dad's spares just now and luckily he has a 2 piece carrier. My gun has the crossbows safety so am I right in saying I only need the 2 piece carrier and the locking block latch?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

I tried this and for some reason it didnt work out. I bought a donor gun with speedload and stripped out the 2 piece lifter and locking block latch. Installation was easy into my 1930's belgian Auto-5 but the bolt wouldnt lock back when the gun was empty. YMMV but I think there may be more fitting required in some cases but you may be lucky. I reverted the gun back to original and it works fine so not sure what I did wrong....
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I never could see what all the fuss was about Speed-Load. The old guns loaded just fine as far as I was concerned. But last year I bought a new shooter, a 1965 Light Twelve, and I got pretty used to that feature. A couple of weeks ago my friends brought out their Auto-5's for a game of Double Doubles Crazy. I grabbed what I thought was my gun from the rack and it wouldn't load. Very confusing for a moment until I realized I'd picked up the wrong gun, a 1946 unmarked Light Twelve. No Speed-Load. How primitive...
  5. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Primitive it maybe but thats the way John Moses Browning designed it, so its good enough for me!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Me too, most of my guns don't have it. But when you're expecting it, and it doesn't work, it's confusing.

By the way, Speed-Load was supposedly invented by JMB's son Val. Look him up, very impressive.
  7. kumpe

kumpe .410

The newer locking block latch has a different spring as well, I suspect that it won't work properly without it.
    Wingman likes this.
  8. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

I bet that was my problem I used the old spring.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
  9. thisisdonald

thisisdonald .22LR

There is a small spring in his box.. it's about 1/8 dia and 3/8 long.. could that be the one?
  10. kumpe

kumpe .410

Sound too small... I measured my old spring, but since I'm used to the metric system I'm not even going to try to convert the measurements. :D Have a look at these instead.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keep in mind that this is the old spring, the new one is slightly longer. Here's a picture of the new above the old.

[​IMG]

Hope that helps...
  11. thisisdonald

thisisdonald .22LR

Yep that's the one...