410 Super Pose Mystery

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by jack l handley, Feb 15, 2020.

1. jack l handley

jack l handley Copper BB

Can anyone tell me how what I believe is grade 3 wood on a grade 1 gun? Checkering only matches grade 3 checkering pattern. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Jack,

Nice to resume this mystery almost 2 years to the day, hence. Also, good to see photos of #9J85 finally. Thanks. Very nice early gun, BTW.

My question is - how did you establish it is Grade 3 checkering pattern? i.e., Whose book of checkering patterns did that come from?

I have a couple observations and thoughts but I’d be more inclined to share them in a private message.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  3. jack l handley

jack l handley Copper BB

i searched pictures of various browning grades and found this checkering on grade 3 fighting cock guns, it appeared to me to be a match...i did not find a book with browning checkering patterns so i just researched pics of browning until i found what i thought was a match. also thanks for your observation and question...i collect model 12a and 42s as a rule and have very little knowledge of brownings. i very much appreciate someone who has the knowledge to help..thanks for your time
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  4. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

You’re welcome. I hope my observations and thoughts (sent via private message) will be helpful. Check you ‘inbox’. I look forward to learning more from each example I encounter.

I have 2 12ga M12’s. Perhaps you can help me establish a reasonable value for them.

They are not collector quality but one is a 30” solid rib Trap model with documentation. It was received in inventory at Von Lengerke & Detmold on April 11,1914. I have Other documentation about 2 of the original owners.

The other is a 32” Full field model with and extra 26” factory-marked CYL barrel.

Perhaps you could help me establish a value as they were my wife’s Dad’s guns that she wishes to sell.

Happy Hunting
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  5. jack l handley

jack l handley Copper BB

6. jack l handley

jack l handley Copper BB

model 12s like any other gun are hard to value sight unseen, but are my thoughts...early model trap guns, like black diamond models have gone crazy in value...even if just a regular model 12 trap with documentation should be worth around 800.00, the other 2 bbl set if serial numbers all match will command more. the 32" bbl will command a premium the second bbl will likewise add to the value...i would guesstimate in the 1200.00 range for this gun...good luck selling these pieces of history....jack
  7. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Thanks, that helps.
  8. JSEARS

JSEARS Copper BB

I have a Browning Superposed 410 serial 9j4, From what I am reading here is it the 4th one made?
  9. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

pictures please.
  10. JSEARS

JSEARS Copper BB

Browning 410 26 1/2" I.C & M The only problem with this firearm is the toe of the stock and pad are chipped. Browning 410 9j4.jpg browning 410.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Thanks for posting the pictures, very nice. I'm sure that can be fixed.
  12. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Congratulations on this acquisition. It looks to be in very nice condition. Thanks for sharing this example.
  13. JSEARS

JSEARS Copper BB

I have been in touch with our local Browning Rep to see if they can find out who it was sold to originally. I need to find someone that can repair the stock as good as possible. Thanks for your info!
    browning 410.jpg Browning 410 9j4.jpg

Attached Files: