20 gauge owners...what chokes are you using?

Discussion in 'Browning Citori Shotgun' started by utbrowningman, Dec 1, 2023.

1. Looking to get extended Midas choke tubes. I typically set for top barrel then bottom barrel. Don't know if that is the general rule or not. Guess it becomes personal preference. Mostly doves and pheasants. Thought is Improved (25-55%) on the top and Improved Modified (45-75%) on the bottom.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Without knowing what distance, you will shoot at, and pattern results it's a crap shoot.
  3. Distance depends on if I miss the first shot :laugh:
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

My personal thought at distance of skeet targets it makes not much difference in choke. Now once you get out to 40 yards, which I hesitate to shoot birds at that distance then it can make a difference. I do believe sometimes it's up to the shooter, and the skill level that they have. I'm a pretty fast shooter so a skeet choke works most of the time. Now pen raised and wild birds are two different things. Ask Win7stw what his average shot distance is on those wild pheasant.
  5. Big Max

Big Max .22LR

I have a 20ga Citori I mainly use on dove. My gun has the standard invector chokes. I use the improved cylinder in the lower and modified in the top. If I am shooting pheasants I used the improved and full chokes. 7 1/2 or 8 shot on dove, #6 on pheasants.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  6. pilotman81

pilotman81 Copper BB

I shoot Carlson's modifieds in all of my Brownings that have removable chokes. Best all around patterning that I have found for field loads on the birds I hunt #2 for geese, #4 for ducks, #6 for pheasants. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk