1964 A5 sweet 16

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by DaveReynolds, Dec 30, 2023.

1. DaveReynolds

DaveReynolds Copper BB

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NVSRmudLMb7Ft6FrGZKK7wIN-HbWhg73

Link to pictures above.

I was given this gun by a friend that knows the value of it but lacks the ability to return it to it's former glory. Or maybe he knows something I don't? This was apparently someone's truck gun that sat behind a bench seat for years. It has a bunch of dings and dents in the wood but no cracks from what I can tell, I haven't taken it apart yet. He told me the barrel got closed in the door of the truck once and egg shaped it so they cut it down. I'm looking for advice on which way to go with the options I'm thinking about.

1. Keep as much factory as possible. I'd probably buy a barrel of the original length. Steam the wood and get as many dings and dents out as possible. Attempt to fix whatever light rust I can with 0000 wool and oil. Replace springs and any necessary components as needed to get it functional (it already appears to be).

2. Replace the wood, barrel, typical wear items, recoat the trigger, strip and reblue it so barrel and receiver are matched and to get rid of rust, basically replace more but return it to factory configuration.

3. Keep it as is and just clean it.

From what I can tell this is a 1964 a5 sweet 16. I plan to primarily keep it oiled in the safe. It might come out 3-6 times a year to shoot skeet. If it isn't worth the room in the safe or worth the time to rebuild or if someone has o different idea, I'm open to suggestions.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yep it has been left to die, but these things have a sweet spot to many here, myself included. Spending the money to restore would be probably 1500-2000 dollars, but would look new, however, it scares a lot of people if you ever want to resale. If you can do all that yourself then you would be in great shape.
    I think this would be a great candidate for a jap barrel and a re-do, but will cost you a bunch that you will never get back, this is pretty common for lots of folks here. It’s really about saving the best semi auto ever made. If you are not into it that much or could care less, then clean it up best you can, replace springs and shoot it.
    DaveReynolds likes this.
  3. DaveReynolds

DaveReynolds Copper BB

Jap barrel as in SKB or a different company? Does the "new a5" barrel fit to an old receiver? I can do a lot of it myself. I enjoy taking time and fixing guns in free time here and there. It doesn't have much sentimental value other than the friend that gave it to me is a very good friend.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

A jap barrel is browning, when they moved operations over there in late 70’s to early 80’s. The easy way to tell is if has screw in chokes then it’s what we refer to as a jap barrel. There are two different ones. The invector and invector + barrels. Some folks say the invector+ is better and has better patterns, but not what I have seen. The threads of the + are further down the barrel and is steel capable. If you slide your hand down( or up) an invector + barrel you will feel the difference. Both barrels are now fetching some big money. Expect 600-1200 for an invector+ off eBay or the like.
    The new A5 is a different animal and a completely different set up, as the auto 5 is long recoil, so nothing will fit.
    Now SKB that is probably the most over looked brand that I can think of. The older ones(80’s) are well made and under valued in my opinion. They also have great customer service. The forearm removal is a bit trying, but once you get the hang of it, it’s easier, but no way near as easy as a Citori.
    DaveReynolds likes this.
  5. DaveReynolds

DaveReynolds Copper BB

I'm assuming they were all made in Belgium prior? That's indicated on the current barrel.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  6. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That looks a pretty good canvas to start a project. Everything that ranger has stated is 100% on the money. The Jap barrels are fine slightly heavier which is an advantage for skeet.
    An invector + barrel has a much greater choice of aftermarket chokes available out there with all the manufacturers. I have had both types in the past and believe my invector + threw better patterns on paper than my earlier invector choked barrel did.
    DaveReynolds likes this.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Not all of the barrels made in Japan have screw-in chokes. I have one that came as a fixed modified, which I had Art open up to IC. They do all say MADE IN JAPAN on them.
    DaveReynolds, Ranger6 and KyBoB like this.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Since this is a 16 gauge you are limited to Invector chokes if you do go with a Jap barrel. Browning never made 16 gauge Invector +
    Auzzie, DaveReynolds and Ranger6 like this.
  9. Ranger6

All great information fellas. Just a question, anyone know why they never made 16 in invector+?
    DaveReynolds likes this.
  10. DaveReynolds

DaveReynolds Copper BB

So springs are going to be a must no matter what. Can someone tell me what springs are recommended to be replaced and where I can get them? Also does this 1964 have a range of similar shotguns with 100% interchangeable parts? More specifically action parts, barrel and furniture.
  11. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Correction on my part was talking 12 g barrels.
    Ranger6 likes this.