1948 a5 16ga butt stock fitting question

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by jim murdock, Nov 27, 2023.

1. jim murdock

jim murdock Copper BB

got new wood for my old a5 from midwest. Pretty wood and a tight fit on reciever so happy with that . The problem is where the bolt goes through the receiver the hole in the wood is about a quarter of the hole too far back. Watched a video fromArts where he drills a bigger hole and glues in an oak dowel rod and uses jig to redrill another hole . Would it work to elongate the hole ?
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

If you elongate the prior hole, it will not drawl the stock up tight. Unless you have the jig and reamer it's really hard to do and get the hole straight. I have the tools like Art, and it works very well. you could always send to Art and have him do it, then it will be right. It's about 60 bucks. The reamer alone I think was almost that, then you will need a receiver and trigger with the collar at the right angle to drill the hole.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Great answer from Ranger, but before doing that, I would call Midwest Gun Works and explain the problem. They are also gunsmiths and should replace or repair your butt stock.
    jim murdock likes this.
  4. jim murdock

jim murdock Copper BB

Thanks . Appreciate the advice
    Rudolph31 likes this.