1905 auto 5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Fishermen0105, Oct 6, 2023.

1. Picked up a 1905 auto 5 in a group buy of older auto 5s. This was among them. Has some cosmetic issues, haven’t delved into the mechanics yet. Never messed with one this old so looking for input. It’s been refinished and wrong forearm added and reblued at some point.
    195XX serial number

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. [​IMG]
    Metal is a little proud to the wood, looks like they were a little too aggressive on the refinish job.
    Jta5er and Rudolph31 like this.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I agree with you, however, that's one sweet find. I am very jealous.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

5. That’s an excellent write up. Thanks. I’ll post some pictures as I get into it.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I’m missing the bronze friction ring
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

What does the barrel extension look like? I’m wondering about the notch.
  8. I’m wondering about these small screws. Seem to be protruding too much. The heads look to big to me. I picked up a 1927 in this same deal and they much deeper.

[​IMG]
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Thanks for the pictures.

Those screws are backing out. Use a jeweler’s screwdriver to tighten them.
  10. This shotgun is marked 65mm which surprised me as I did not know they made 12 gauge’s in anything other than 70mm but I guess they did for the world market.

Also this choke construction seems to be a bit less than full, maybe light full?

I don’t like the fit of the forearm. It has too much movement and Doesn’t seem to be letting the barrel extension go all the way forward. Also covers up the acier steel barrel markings when on. The forearm is from 1946 based on the serial number. I tried my dads Japanese forearm from the 80s and it worked well except I still think I see too much of the barrel extension. I forgot to take a picture with it on.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Converting a 16 gauge, 65mm gun is a PITA because the shells will feed but not eject. But because the 12 gauge gun was designed for 70mm shells from the beginning, you have no such problem.

The question is, do you think that extra 5mm of crimp will become a barrel obstruction? I kind of doubt it. But you can load short shells if you’re concerned. One thing I wouldn’t do is lengthen the chamber, though someone may well have done that already.

I agree about the choke, though I can’t find a chart. .8mm is about .031”.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
    Fishermen0105 likes this.
  12. This is bothering me some. Seems like too much of the barrel extension showing. Caused by a bad fitting forearm? Haven’t ever seen one stick out this far.
    [​IMG]
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

If it is, it’s not visible in that picture.
  14. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Think he is talking about in the chamber. Slide the bolt forward and take another pic please.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  15. Correct, in the chamber the barrel extension is prtotruding more than I’m used to seeing. It’s like the forearm is pushing the barrel down too far? I’m comparing it to my mid 60s a5s. I’ll snap take a picture with the bolt closed when I get home later.
  16. Ranger6

Some of the older ones have a little more of the extension showing from what I have noticed. Looks fine to me with the bolt closed. I assume the barrel serial matches the receiver? That bolt will never hit the receiver.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  17. Ya the barrel matches the receiver, forearm is from the late 40s. I just hadn’t seen one with that much extension showing but this is the oldest a5 I’ve been around.
  18. Ranger6

Ok now you got me thinking. What does the barrel ramp look like. I have seen the barrel rings located at different heights and since the forearm is from a much newer gun it is possible that the forearm is letting the barrel sit back to far. Have you fired it yet?