16ga A5 Feeding Issues

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Nico Moraitis, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Nico Moraitis

Nico Moraitis Copper BB

I received an 16ga A5 Browning Shotgun from a gentleman you bought it off the internet, needless to say he did not have a chance to inspect it before purchasing. It's obvious some parts are not original. The carrier screw does not match the frame perfectly.

After loading the magazine, I pull the bolt to the rear to load the first round and both rounds dump out below the carrier and fall on the ground.

So confused!!! Could there be non 16ga parts in this gun. I have never worked on a A5 Model, hoping I can figure this out before having to send it in to Browning.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Just thinking about this a little bit, I'm thinking you have a problem with your Carrier Latch. It's supposed to work in a see-saw fashion, with the rear part spring-loaded to hold the carrier down until tripped by the rim of the shell leaving the magazine, or the button is pressed. Either way, when the rear portion of the carrier is flush with the receiver, the forward part moves to prevent the following shell from leaving the magazine. You'll notice that with the bolt closed, the first shell is partially out, resting on the nose of the Locking Block Latch, which is pinned to the Bolt.

With both shells falling on the ground, it would seem that not only is your Latch not stopping the next shell in the mag, it's also allowing the Carrier to rise before the shell to be loaded is in position. If that's the case, then either the Bolt won't stay back with the gun empty, or it's on a hair trigger, slamming shut at the slightest vibration.

If you are going to work on this yourself, Midwest Gun Works has the Field Service Manual available to download for free. It's got a great trouble shooting section.

Good Luck!
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Nico !!
  5. Nico Moraitis

Nico Moraitis Copper BB

Thank you for your replay, I gave it back to the owner. I would dive in but it's not mine and I don't want his gun be my ginipig. Thank you all. If I have another Browning issue, I'll be back.
  6. Nico Moraitis

Nico Moraitis Copper BB

Thank you Shooter13. I'm a 1911 expert, former industry worker, now I'm running my own business in Columbus Ohio. I'm glad to talk to anyone about anything 1911. Thank you.
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thank you Nico...we welcome your expertise.