16ga a5 double safety

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by jim murdock, Oct 30, 2023.

1. jim murdock

jim murdock Copper BB

bought a 16ga a5 close to 40 yrs ago . Took it to a gunsmith to have him go over it and when I went to pick it back up he asked what I paid for it . Told him $125 from a friend and he offered me double for it cause he'd never seen one with a double safety on it . Told him I didn't want to sell it as I wanted to quail hunt with it . Now after 40yrs and a lot of quail later my poor old butt has a hard time taking the trash out . Son still hunts a lot so decided to get the old boy fixed up . Checking the serial number it was made in 1948 but from what Ive read the rear safety wasn't introduced until 1953. This one has both the front safety and the rear one . Seen one on a website made in 1937 which said it was rare but it was a sweet 16 and this one is a regular A5. Figured I give this forum a try and see if anyone knows more about it . Id post a picture but can't seem to get my Mac pad to get it done
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

You can send the pictures to me and I will get them posted. Send me a pm and I can give my phone number or email. One of the other guys know the particulars and dates better then I, so I will let them post that.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have seen one like this before. I thought someone posted it on here
  4. Biz

Biz 20g

5. jim murdock

jim murdock Copper BB

Couldn't get my mac to cooperate with a photo so used it for my avatar
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’ve seen that before, and not just the one posted by Biz. Someone on Shotgunworld had one, and it was determined that the gun had been modified.

Cross bolt safeties work by blocking the trigger from behind and require a trigger with a tab at the back to work.

[​IMG]

Trigger guard safeties slide under a shelf at the front of the trigger.

[​IMG]
    The gun featured on Shotgunworld had the original trigger with a tab soldered on the back to make the cross bolt work. Yours seems to be similar.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  7. jim murdock

jim murdock Copper BB

8. jim murdock

jim murdock Copper BB

Plan on doing a disassemble when I can find some new wood for it and I'll take a closer look at it . Thanks for the info
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  9. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Pictures uploaded for Mr. Murdock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Ranger6

11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Do both safeties work?
  12. jim murdock

jim murdock Copper BB

No . Just the rear one
  13. antman73

antman73 .410

Did anyone get to the bottom of the double safety’s? The reason I ask is I looked at two Auto 5’s today at my LGS and sure enough one had two safety’s . I’m pretty sure it wasn’t an option at any time but it’s weird that with the two posted here recently and the one I saw today that’s three in the last month. Can they all just be modified?
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Lots of people don’t like the front safety, when the cross bolt safety appeared in 1951 I’m sure there were gunsmiths offering to modify existing shotguns.
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

As a south paw I love the front safety. I only have two guns with cross bolt safeties
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Me too, especially when they’re gold. I’m still looking for that Stealth Light Twelve.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Didn’t you pass on one that I found for you?
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I did, but I’ve forgotten why. Probably asking too much.
  19. What do you mean by a stealth light twelve?
  20. The rear safety was a service center or gun smith alteration.