16 gauge ejector

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ranger6, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Thought I finally found a 2 9/16 chamber barrel to work on my 1909. Found it on eBay from numrich. So it showed up today and was listed as 2 9/16 chamber barrel. Upon inspection I found that the ejector moves. Seems to fit the gun better then the other three I had. So my question is has anyone replaced the ejector? As we all know it’s not suppose to move. It does seem to cycle rounds, but haven’t shot it yet to see if it will cycle. 2nd question: I see MWG has pre war ejectors with the hole in them, but can’t tell much more then that. Anyone have any knowledge if it’s a round hole or elongated?
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I believe this video will show you the difference

3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

So maybe it will still cycle 2 1/2 shells.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Another excellent video by Art, although I think he’s off base saying opening the ejection port affects how far forward the bolt sits. Bolt position has to do with barrel extension position, and that is determined by how much wood he reamed off of the forearm. Also, we all know that Cabela’s doesn’t carry short ammo.

Yes, a 2 3/4” gun will still cycle 2 1/2” shells.
    win7stw likes this.
  5. Ranger6

I think you guys are misunderstanding what I’m trying to say. This is a spare barrel. The gun is 2 9/16 gun. I know shorter shells will cycle as I do it in some of my others. This barrel is one that I want to put chokes in. The only thing that has been changed on this barrel is the ejector moves. I just heard from numrich. They said the chamber measured 2 9/16 so that’s what they listed as. So I’m guessing that someone started to convert to 2 3/4.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

At the 5 minute and 49 second mark of Arts video it show the original ejector for a short chambered gun has a round hole in it. It is riveted to barrel extension so that it does not move. I would think all you need is ejector you are looking at from MGW and a rivet.
  7. Ranger6

That was my thought also. Just not sure if one from MWG has round hole or slot. I will call them today. There are also some with no hole, guess it has to be drilled for it. I may even have one. Need to check the stash of parts. Either way I just thought maybe someone would know if it would cycle with the movable ejector. Guess I will shoot it and see how it does. The gun in its original format shoots like a champ. The shit we do just to keep an original gun original and the shot we do to make it more shootable or should I say useable for me.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I think that it will cycle just fine with the sliding ejector. I replied on 16ga.com about your concerns about it cycling, with a Hartin crimp or roll crimped 2-3/4" shell I don't think you will have any issues.
  9. Ranger6

I shoot rst 2 1/2 shells in it
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’d bet it’ll cycle just fine with the RST shells
  11. Ranger6

Guess we find out on Saturday.
  12. Ranger6

Well shot a box of shells and had one hick-up with four loaded. Failed to extract from the chamber. Had to use cleaning rod to remove. Was pretty tight so may have been the brass swelled up for some reason,
    Not sure just yet. You could see marks on the shell where extractor grabbed it but left it in the barrel, maybe it was too tight in chamber. Anyway I think it’s gonna work and dropped off this morning at brileys to have a choke put in it. Will test after that again. I will probably have old style ejector put back in it, if for no other reason then to satisfy my mind that the right one is there.