New Wood for your A5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Goose, Sep 17, 2016.

1. thisisdonald

thisisdonald .22LR

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/
    I found this a very interesting read.
    I come from a spring airgun background and lubrication is always a hot topic.
    I found it strange that everything I've read about lubrication shotguns is different from airguns I was a little perplexed so I have been doing as I'm told and am using oil. That and that's what J.M.B. had at the time of design.
    In my airguns I use moly grease of different kinds and ptfe suspensions.. I also use some hot sauce reel oil for triggers but I now think that is a ATF mixture of some kind.
    Airguns require a specific set of parameters so that the lubricant doesn't deisel inside the cylinder under compression.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

A shotgun, especially a long-recoil one like the Auto-5, has a lot of fast moving parts that need lubrication like the parts of an engine. I use gun grease instead of oil on the ones that mostly sit upright in the display case. My shooters get get gun oil on the barrel/receiver tracks and SAE30 on the mag tube. Those guns are stored muzzle down. I guess I should add that all the guns get an oily patch through the bore and wiped down with an oily rag or a Rem-Wipe.
  3. Budzo100

Budzo100 .410

So Rudolph31. What do you think about the DriLube from Remington. I just ordered a can of it. It's a spray that is teflon based. But I have read, that it doesn't give you the residue that would be left over from Graphite.

Which I thought would be a good thing. And yes, I agree that the long recoil moving parts of the Auto 5, would be a good candidate for such a spray. This discussion all started because I had read that it was recommended that I store my Auto 5, barrel down. And I have been educated rather nicely. It's my first Automatic, even tho it's old by manufacturing. IT is damn near new by looking at it. It has had a very easy life, I think anyway. And wanted to make sure that it slides and ejects as easily as possible, being that it is so old. circa 1968.

And I wanted to find a good lube for it.

This is a great forum. thanks very much all.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Budzo, I don't know anything about that lube. I would guess it would work, but I doubt it has any anti-rust properties.
  5. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

I use Tetra gun grease on mine and it works great..
  6. thisisdonald

thisisdonald .22LR

Teflon is a trademark for PTFE, which would be fine for your application. It's the carrier that matters... you want something that will still give good performance at low temperatures and won't gum up.
    I use a ptfe grease called krytox in my spring airguns, which, you could compare to the long recoil system. I live in Scotland where it's pretty cold most of the time! I have had no problems.
    I just had a quick look at the data sheet for the rem dri lube.. looks pretty good.
    My only concern is old J. M. B prescribed motor oil.
    Let us know how you get on.
  7. Budzo100

Budzo100 .410

Hi wingman. So where would I find Tetra Gun Grease??? I guess I can look it up, and if I need to buy it thru the net, then I will. But if you found it here in Canada, I'd love to know where. Thanks. And which parts do you put it on??? Do I need to fully disassemble my A5 down too pins and springs out, screws all out. Or can I just open the action and dab it where I see any parts that potentially rub and have contact.

Basically, pls let me know how far I need to take it apart. and where do you suggest I put the grease.

Thanks
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

9. Budzo100

Budzo100 .410

SHOOTER13 likes this.