New Wood for your A5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Goose, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Goose

Goose .410

[​IMG]
    English walnut from Macon testing colour before the actual final finish[​IMG]
    You cut off to create your desired lenght off pull
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Added thin white plastic to butt plate
  2. Goose

Goose .410

Choose to use English red stock oil applied 8+ coats before wood was fed[​IMG]
    Had a go at checkering from scratch but after a couple of goes let a friend finish it as to much wood could be lost
  3. Goose

Goose .410

[​IMG]
    Left the forend a little bit fuller for strength and fitted a spring loaded ball for the end cap
    Longboy and Spark plug like this.
  4. Goose

Goose .410

So this is my 1970 A5 that came to me for £80,bought for spares as wood was completely ruined by previous owner with a habit of over oiling and storing gun barrel up
    (fatal for a A5)The walnut was supplied from Macon in Missouri ......it is sent out with so you can do the fitting to the action etc yourself to save money.Because
    this gun was in great shape inside i decided to spend $365 or £200 at the time to re-stock the A5 for next generation to enjoy.Be warned many hours of sanding,filing swearing cursing and beer drinking are required to do this so may not be economically viable in some cases but if you like wood work give it a go.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Beautiful. And the gun is worth a lot more than you have invested. Nice to know the stock came from my neck of the woods...
  6. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Goose that's amazing work.

Funny how cheap these guns are here in the UK I bought one also recently for under 100 pounds and after a good clean up its a great gun. I wish I had the skills to do what you have with that stock!
  7. Goose

Goose .410

Thanks for comments fella's many hours of work and the gun could of ended up back in the USA, if the eurocrates had their way and ban ownership of autos.Funny old world...... english walnut cut down shipped to Missouri turned into stock set sent back to UK ,French call for ban on automatic weapons before we get out the eurozone and i would have asked R31 to have me kit while i apply for US citizenship and applied for a job with Arts gun shop.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  8. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

I love your plan I would move to the US like a shot buy a pickup, retire and spend my days shooting, fishing and trekking. Wonder where in the UK you are goose we should meet up for a shoot!!
    Rudolph31 and Goose like this.
  9. Goose

Goose .410

I live in the middle near big reservoirs and can reach the reach the fens in an hour love shooting, fishing and would be happy any where that could happen.
  10. Goose

Goose .410

Here is a picture of the old stock were the oil has destroyed the wood.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  11. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

I get you. I am near Oxford would love to get your help in restocking my 1954 auto-5!!
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Would love to have you guys here! I'm not sure you'd like the summers though. Cool weather is reserved for liberal states...
  13. Budzo100

Budzo100 .410

ruined by previous owner with a habit of over oiling and storing gun barrel up
    (fatal for a A5)
    Hi Goose. I cut out this particular set of words from earlier in this thread to ask. What is so bad about storing the A5 barrel up. Please let me know, as I am a new owner of a real old A5. 1968 I think. And I don't really want to ruin it.

Thanks
  14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Budzo...

Any oil and solvent ( and associated crud ) runs back into the action and onto the stock
  15. Goose

Goose .410

For some strange reason budzo some folk think loads of oil will make the gun cycle when in truth only a little is needed,but i've seen the wood turn soft on side-by-sides and over and unders as well so its a common problem lubricating oil and walnut dont mix.Best to store guns barrel down if you can and if not some people use high tempreture grease.Some old timers paint the internals of their actions with a mixture of pretroleum jelley and parrafin.Keep an eye on this forum we might see what the other guys use. As for me a little oil and a wipe over the for-end wood for safe measure but we can check this every time the gun gets cleaned.I have re stocked two A5's to date and the next project is an old WW2 Merkle drilling.
  16. Budzo100

Budzo100 .410

Thanks very much Goose. This Auto 5 is my first auto loader. I have a 325 o/u and I also have 3 pump guns. So when I seen that part about storing them barrel down, I did wonder. It only makes sense, I suppose, if you over oil. I don't. My grandfather was a gun smith and did teach me some. But, that was a long time ago. And he never liked Automatics. Too finicky he said.

When I first picked up my 325, the fella I bought it from, ya he was an Over oiler for sure. My first Sporting clays match, I came away with a huge raspberry on my cheek because of all the dam oil on the stock. Much better now.

And I'll keep looking on this forum for more info about my A5.

Thanks
  17. Budzo100

Budzo100 .410

Ok Shooter13, and Goose. what about using, instead of oil on the action. Using a product that is like a paintable graphite. It comes in a spray can, and we use it here in Canada on some of our equipment metal to metal slide areas. Now, I totally understand that a shotgun is a much finer tolerance of metal parts. But, using a graphite may make it slide easier.

what are you thoughts PLS???
  18. Budzo100

Budzo100 .410

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  19. Goose

Goose .410

IT seems we might open up a whole new discussion about oiling here.Never used a graphite product on a gun my-self just gun oil and grease on the inside workings.I've seen some people use WD 40 ,it stops rust great but it attacks the bluing so when my guns get really wet they dry at room temperature and then lightly re- oiled Even when i have worked on actions and used honing paste(valve grinding paste) on moving parts it is it washed out with brake cleaner removing all the graphite/paste because my preference is oil.

If you try the graphite product let me know how you get on.
  20. Budzo100

Budzo100 .410

I will for sure Goose. I'll let you know how and what I did. Cheers.