First go at roll crimps

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by win7stw, May 24, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Ok first pics are just doing crimp with hand crank. Seems to roll fine but leaves, for lack of better words a square edge on the shells. The second picture is one light press with the gaep to give it a beveled edge.

Attached Files:

2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Here it is mounted. Not sure it’s gonna work mounted like this.

Attached Files:

3. Ranger6

Things I’ve found out. Using hand crimper to crimp and then follow up with gaep makes a deeper roll crimp. If you go to far( to much pressure) with the gaep then it damages the hull. Anyone know proper crimp depth of a roll crimp? With gaep it measures .085. With hand crank and gaep it measures.110
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Good work. I think I am going to pass on the hand crimper for awhile. I have the gaep crimper on it’s way. The gaep looks like the real deal.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Did you get ahold of Byrdog about his paper hulls?
  6. Ranger6

The gaep is the real deal. They make good products. No nothing yet on paper hulls. I got some pictures to post later of the fired roll crimper hulls. The gaep bulls look way better. More on that later tonight. I’m building a chicken coop today for my daughter’s chickens. O the things we do for our children.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I think my stack might be too short. Could be part of my problem
  8. Ranger6

Yes sir that will cause a lot of issues. You can get around that with adding some filler under shot, but I tend to just look for another wad or another load. What load and hull are you using?
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Ched hull trimmed to 65mm
    18 grains green dot
    SG16 wad
    1 ounce #9
  10. Ranger6

I haven’t loaded and of those yet. I’m gonna do some tonight. Are you roll or 6 point crimping. Don’t remember but that load may be better with dr-16
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Trying to roll. I’ll measure the distance from top of os card to the top of the hull tonight
  12. Ranger6

I’m getting ready to load that load and see what I get. The picture of the hulls were fired in sweet 16 and roll crimper. The green hull was done with gaep. Red one with hand crank

Attached Files:

13. Ranger6

This is 16 grains of green dot with sg-16

Attached Files:

win7stw likes this.
  14. Ranger6

17.5 grains of green dot

Attached Files:

15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

My god. That’s sexy
  16. Ranger6

Thanks win7. Thought it looked pretty good. Crimp depth is suppose to be .060-.065. Mine are a little more. I’m guessing it takes a little practice. The first ones with the universal cycled the a5 with no issues and broke targets. Wanna see what this green dot does in my auto 5. I need to send these off to get tested. Probably gonna buy this trace 2 system, suppose to be pretty accurate. Kind of expensive but as much as I reload it would be nice to have a way to check pressure. Gotta wait a little. Just bought another 16 buts it’s not a browning. Hopefully will be here Friday
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

What did you buy now?
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

And how much plastic should I have above the shot card?
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Also could you adjust the table on the drill press So when the press is at the bottom of its stroke that’s the proper height of the shell?
  20. Ranger6

Win7 the ones that I just loaded had about 1/8 inch on top of shot card. I do push the shot card down so it’s tight on the shot then roll. I’m dropping about 7-10 bb’s #8 shot over and ounce. My depth is a little to deep according to Tom. My bar has been modified so need to get another bar, and see what it drops. If not you can always add just a little shot to raise it a little closer to the top to make the roll a little shallower to achieve.060-.065 thousands. Just need to play with it a little.
    And yes you can use the stop on the press. I have my press marked for my other loads so I need to redo again. I gaep all my loads. May need a second press. It’s a lot to keep up with. I have a binder laying on the bench to organize all this. The secretary sucks. I’ve had it there for 2 weeks now.
    And i have been looking for a hammer gun per 1899 with hammers for about 2 years. All I could find under 10 grand was mostly 12’s. So yesterday I got a call from Kirby over at vintage doubles. He said he had the one that matched all my wishes but 2. The 2 were 27” barrel( I wanted 28-30)and it was 16 gauge( which we never discussed a gauge), so basically it was just one. I wanted a16 to begin with, but thought I would never find one. So it’s now mine. It’s made in 1897 sxs 16 gauge, E.M Reilly. Weighs 6lbs . Looks like beautiful wood and comes with original hard case. If it don’t fit me I can send it back for full refund. If you ever want a vintage Kirby is the man.