First go at roll crimps

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by win7stw, May 24, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Damn that was fast. I’m waiting for you to try it before I order. Looking forward to seeing the finished product
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Ok fellas first go at roll crimping with gaep crimper. 2 3/4 cheddite cut to 2 1/2. 20.5 grains of universal. Sg16 wad. My bar is a skeet bar that has been modified to throw exactly 1 oz. I added a slight bit of shot to bring shot card up to about 1/8 of top of shell. You guys have at it.

Attached Files:

win7stw and Rudolph31 like this.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Too pretty to shoot...
    win7stw likes this.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Perfection!!! Is it easy to use?
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Does that thing have a model number? I plan on emailing Charles and want the right one
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes tell him you want 16 otp roll crimper to use in press. I spin mine at 500 rpm. Slight to moderate pressure. If you go to far it will cut a line around the shell. It don’t take much. I just went until plastic was rolled against shot card. And thanks guys. I’m gonna make about 5 more. Probably shot tomorrow if slow at work. Will report back. I also use a hull vise. Didn’t know if it would be worth it, it actually works
    (One from ballistic prod)
  7. Ranger6

I have been told that there are different depth roll crimpers from gaep, I need to email Charles to find out for sure. I’m thinking he would have said something if there were. Or maybe he just knows. It was 2 days ups from Italy. Last time he used dhl and it went all over before I got it.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks for the information. I just sent an email to him. Looking forward to hearing your shooting results. I made a hull vise, ghetto but it works
  9. Ranger6

This is the one from ballistic

Attached Files:

10. Ranger6

Ok some updates. Seems like it’s easier to crimp if you have about 2.6mm(.104”) above shot card. It’s really a quick operation. No lacking. Roll it and check it. If you spin the crimper too long with pressure it starts eating up the hull. I roll down until no gaps between card and roll crimp. I made 5 so we will see.
  11. Ranger6

Anyone wanna donate to the chronograph fund. Damn this shit is addicting. Looking at some now. No experience at all with chronograph’s. Been looking at the one that goes on the end of the barrel. I figure with shotgun that’s the best, to not shoot it. The ones with the wands look like easy targets. Anyone got advise?
  12. Ranger6

Old fashioned hand crimp will be here tomorrow. More to follow....
  13. Ranger6

This is what it says

Attached Files:

14. Ranger6

Win7 by the way this is all your fault. You started this roll crimp fiasco. No not really, I been wanting to give it a try. You just pushed me a little.
    Hey just found neat article from ballistic products on roll crimping. It’s called roll crimping over view. Pretty much sums it up in a nut shell. A lot of their stuff is worthless, but this is spot on.
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    win7stw likes this.
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have a lab radar and that cheesy bastard from RCBS. I haven’t shot a shotgun across either yet. I guess I haven’t felt the need to check my speed on shotshells. If the function in the gun and pattern well that’s all I need to know.

With that said I am very curious to see what speed the shells i load with the PBSS powder I got run at
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well I am glad you are the guinea pig for me. I think it’s going to be fun to load the roll crimp shells with the right equipment. Plus they look dead sexy. Since I can’t shoot worth a shit I have to have good looking equipment
    Ranger6 likes this.
  17. Ranger6

I think it would be a neat tool to have. I agree pattern board rules, but little extra info would be nice. I got a range about 10 miles up the road with pattern board, but it’s like 20 bucks. I can do on skeet field with clay box on center stake also
  18. Ranger6

Ok next is roll crimping paper shells. Tag your it
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I think by wands you mean sky screens. When shooting shotguns those come off and you shoot closer to the chrono
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am waiting on a snowbird from MN to get back to ship some to me. He posts on 16ga society. I need to call him tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder. Another guy has some on there to but he wants 25 cents a hull, that’s not happening. I just scored 400 once fired Herters off there for the cost of shipping