Straight grip A5's

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Stephen G Hodges, Apr 29, 2024.

1. I have been looking for a straight "English" stocked A5 for quite some time, but have only seen one or two for sale, and they both had enough warts to scare me off. I check GB and GunsInternational pretty regularly. Were these guns so rare that not many ever come up for sale? Thanks, Steve
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

They come up for sale, but the price is usually pretty steep. I see more 16ga than 12. If you want one keep looking and you will find one.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    Stephen G Hodges likes this.
  3. I guess I just need to keep my eyes out for one
    Ranger6 likes this.
  4. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

And in case anyone was wondering, no, you cannot simply switch wood. The rear tang on the trigger housing is a different length and angle. The tapped hole for the stock retaining screw on the receiver is also at a different angle. BTDT.
    KyBoB, Stephen G Hodges and Rudolph31 like this.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

It took a few years of looking to find my first one and JtA5er found it for me. After I bought the first one they started showing up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I want a first year or a Grade 2 for my next one
  7. I don’t think they are very common except on early auto 5’s.
  8. Here’s my 1905 I had out a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]
  9. Biz

Biz 20g

That is a nice looking early straight grip, was it restored? And that 3 wheeler, is it from the 80’s?
  10. The 3 wheeler is an ‘84 big red. The straight grip was partially restored before I purchased. I thought about having it rust blued but it looks pretty good as is so I’ll probably leave it alone for now.
    KyBoB and Stephen G Hodges like this.