Pre-WW1 type 2

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, Jan 28, 2024.

1. Biz

Biz 20g

I pick it up at the airport last week. I am very happy with this type 2. It is all complete with matching serial number. The engraving is very sharp, the checkering of the forearm needs to be recuts. The buttplate is gone but it is not a bid deal as I have a few in stock. The only drawback, it is a 16 gauge, I will have to live with that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    Anatidae, win7stw, Bruski and 2 others like this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Biz:
    Thats a beauty. I would not consider a 16 to be a drawback, but I understand probably not a lot of options for 16 in your neck of the woods.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Wow Biz, congratulations!

Looks to be circa 1914. Where did it ship from?
  4. Biz

Biz 20g

I just like to make fun of my Browning friends who swear by 16 gauge only
    Ranger6 likes this.
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

France, with Air France Cargo. I have to say I was very impressed with their services. But they were a price attached to it.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Now that’s an excellent gun! I would have bought that thing if I had found it also. Congratulations!
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Soon enough you will understand why we like the 16. Congrats that is a beauty
  8. Biz

Biz 20g

Who knows, you know the saying, "only fools don’t change their mind" if you have a pic a the side receiver of your type 3 I can post it with the catalogue pic as I did.
  9. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

"The only drawback, it is a 16 gauge, I will have to live with that."

Bummer!!

Congratulations! What is the meaning of le nom 'Bernard' on the top of le bascule near le guidon?
  10. Biz

Biz 20g

Thank you Anatidae. I was hoping someone would pick up that markings detail. It is fascinating. I am assuming that is the name of the first owner of the gun and it tells everything, L. Renard on one side and 1912 on the other side. I wonder who was Monsieur Renard. We are two year before the first war, did he fight in the Trenches, did he comeback? By the way, renard is the French name for fox. May be, he was the engraver.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  11. Really nice find, thanks for sharing.