New to the BHP scene, please help me I.D. this pistol

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by scamp62, Jan 14, 2024.

1. scamp62

scamp62 Copper BB

I picked up this BHP for a song, it looks like it had a rough time at one point, (surface rust) and the previous owner cerakoted it, I have tried to follow the Browning serial number page (https://www.browning.com/support/date-your-firearm/hi-power-pistol.html). I found the “C” in the 1969-75 but my serial number starts with 76? And then the front sight is like I have never seen on a BHP?? I’m assuming the hammer was replaced, it looks like a Cylinder & Slide Commander hammer (just a guess) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. scamp62

scamp62 Copper BB

I tried to post pics??? but it looks like I just get ??? any guidance on that would be great!
    Thanks!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

welcome sir, the picture tab does not work and are lots of post about this. There is also a post on how to post pictures using Imgur. Some folks also use goggle. You will have to have an account with a picture sharing site, as it's the only way to post pictures here. Yep, I agree its BS but this is a work around so we can still post pictures. You can find most of this info in the announcement section.
  4. scamp62

scamp62 Copper BB

Thanks Ranger6!
    Ranger6 likes this.
  5. Soundguy

Soundguy .410

a 76C***** pistol was made in 1976.
    On High Powers with the C type serial number, the first two numbers are the year.

Cheers,
    Tim
  6. scamp62

scamp62 Copper BB

Hay Soundguy, that is not what Browning has published on their website, 1969 to 1975, that is true, but 1976-1997, things get really.....well... all alphabet soup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  7. Soundguy

Soundguy .410

From time to time, Fabrique Nationale changed the format of serial numbers. Different serial number formats were produced at the same time during these periods of change... there was NEVER a clear cutoff from one format to the next. Due to this, you must go by what the serial number tells you, and not by what the Browning website tells you.

The Browning website is not entirely accurate and should be relied upon only with additional knowledge of other factors.

Another silly thought for you:
    If you happened across a 76C***** and a 245RT***** you would likely find they are identical except for the serial number.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    Ranger6 likes this.
  8. scamp62

scamp62 Copper BB

Thanks, Tim!
    Good to know, any help on the front sight? I can find no pics, of that design.
    Thank you for all your help, and knowledge!!

Scott
  9. Soundguy

Soundguy .410

I can't say for sure. It kinda looks like the standard half moon shape sight on my 74C but... perhaps a previous owner modified it to be more of a serrated ramp.

Cheers,
    Tim