Fall 2023

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Dec 10, 2023.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well this has been a frustrating hunting season for me. I worked all of September and a lot of of October. When I did get out in October the row crops hadn’t come off yet due to rain. Birds were there but hard to come by as they were all in the sunflowers or corn. We got lucky and had a week of warm weather so the farmers were able to get most of the crops off.

The last couple of weeks I’ve been deer hunting and they are also scarce here due to blue tongue and the rough winter we had last year but I was able to fill my tag.

Today my boys asked if we could pheasant and of course it was an instant yes. It was a quick hunt, walked about 150 yards and had my three roosters. Used the grade 2 I bought from Jimmy for the first time today. I went three for three with it. I love days like today

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. pilotman81

pilotman81 Copper BB

Congratulations on a good day in the field with your boys! Here in Kansas pheasant season has been much the same but still managed to clip a few ditch chickens and a quail with one of my Citoris during our opening weekend.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    recoil, KyBoB, Biz and 2 others like this.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Nice work. I need to go on a quail hunt before I tip over
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Took the boys out again today. Had to work a little harder but got it done. Took the Type 3 and tried 2-3/4” shells through it. It worked flawless with some old 1-1/8 ounce 6 shot Federal shells.

The first walk the dogs found a covey of huns and I got two on my first shot and got my third on my second shot. Usually I get overwhelmed and flock shoot and end up missing. The second walk the birds were gutting up 100 yards plus in front of me but my dog found one that was too dumb to leave. Missed my first shot and dumped in cattails that were taller than me. The pup had one of her best retrieve getting it out of there. The next walk the birds were really jumpy again but there were enough that the dogs found my last two. It was very windy today which lead to the birds being jumpy.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Jta5er, recoil, Rudolph31 and 2 others like this.
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

Nice hunt Justin, but do I love that type 3.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. pilotman81

pilotman81 Copper BB

Oh man! I am jealous of the huns. One of my oldest friends has been after me for years to go chase huns and grouse "out west". I keep telling him I am in, but his wife keeps telling him that he is out! Maybe in 3 or 4 years when his boys are out of the house...

7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have never seen as many partridge as I have the last three years. The game and fish here recently put out an article explaining the boom and how we better enjoy it while we can
  8. Big Max

Big Max .22LR

Looks like you are having a banner year. Have not got to do any upland hunting this year except for dove in September. I have been enjoying the waterfowl season this year. I have been out 3 times so far. The migration seems to have gotten off to a slow start this season. We have got a couple birds but at least the boat has run well and we have not had to paddle home. Your A5 is beautiful. I have 2 A-5's, a 12ga 3" and I just aquired a Light 20 that looks like it was just taken out of the box, put together and put in the rack and never shot. Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  9. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Very Cool looks like another good day and lots of memories being made. There will be birds in all directions when you get your boys up and going on that Mossberg 410.
    Big Max likes this.
  10. Big Max

Big Max .22LR

Nothing like getting young people out and enjoying the outdoors. They are memories that will last a lifetime.
    win7stw and KyBoB like this.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Snuck out for a few hours today. We got blasted with freezing rain yesterday so the birds could hear my crunching foot steps from a mile away. Got lucky enough for one old rooster to hold for my dogs. Missed the first shot and folded it up on my second. Tail measured at 25-3/8”, top 5 bird as far as the tail length goes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
    recoil, Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  12. pilotman81

pilotman81 Copper BB

That tail is waaaay long! Glad you could make it out. I'm hoping to get after a few more roosters before the season ends. It's just been too wet here in the places that I go. Might have to hit some public spots instead.

13. Great time in the field.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Today is the last day of pheasant season here. I had access to some prime land today. My dogs did their part but I failed miserably. I should have had my three but only connected with two. It was still a great way to end the season.
    [​IMG]
    KyBoB and Ranger6 like this.
  15. Pamlico

Pamlico .22LR

Looks like a great time! I hope to get a chance to bag some pheasants before my time ends.