Rare Auto-5 Find

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by maxximus64, Jan 2, 2022.

1. maxximus64

maxximus64 Copper BB

About 10 years ago my daughter and I was in Cabelas on the west side of Phoenix. After checking out the cool animal displays we went into the Gun Library and right at the doorway I saw a gun in the rack smaller than all the others which is why it caught my eye. Turned out to be a little '90s 20ga Browning Auto-5 with a shorten stock so I asked to look at it. Closer inspection it had a factory short 13.25" LOP stock and from the tiger stripe finish it was either an AA or maybe even an AAA grade stock. With the short stock, fancy grade wood, short 26" barrel and in mint condition I thought to myself this must of been some dude's wife that turned into an ex-wife and that's how it ended up at Cabelas. This would be a great find for my daughter to have when she got older so I bought it.

Jaz Browning sm.png
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Nice find sir, she looks pretty excited about that auto 5. Hopefully it will say with her and passed down to her daughter. Nothing better then that!
  3. maxximus64

maxximus64 Copper BB

10 years later when she turned 18 I pull the Browning auto-5 out of the safe to see how well it fits her. Well, it didn't turned out as good as I wanted. Being she's only 5'3" she complained that the gun was too long and to front heavy for her. I thought to myself, what am I going to do now being that is as short as they come. I remembered seeing years ago that Browning sold shorter replacement barrels so after further searching I found out that Browning discontinued that part and there were none left. So, after about 10 mouths of searching the web I found that barrel on Guns International in mint condition and from the asking price the seller knew that that was a rare part but I had to have it. It's a factory 22" vent barrel with the newer backboring and the longer invector plus choke tubes which was great being they say it reduces recoil.

Browning auto-5 sm.png
  4. maxximus64

maxximus64 Copper BB

5. maxximus64

maxximus64 Copper BB

6. maxximus64

maxximus64 Copper BB

She likes the gun now. Hopefully something she will hold on to and remember me by when I'm long gone. She should be able to pass this along to her grand kids hopefully.
  7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Good deal. That’s a beautiful auto 5. And those 22” barrels are pretty hard to find. Glad it worked out for you, or should I say her.
    Robert B likes this.
  8. maxximus64

maxximus64 Copper BB

Another rare find to go with this rare auto-5 is the box end wrench style choke wrench. I like this type over the flat key style but they're getting harder to find on ebay.

Browning Choke Wrench.png
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That’s a beautiful gun. I didn’t know they offered a youth stocked model. Learn something new everyday
  10. Ranger6

Yes I like those better too. Sure wish I could find one in 16, but I don’t think they ever made. If they did I’ve never seen one
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

If I remember right the Jap Sweet Sixteen I had had that style
  12. Ranger6

Really, I will have to look for one. I have this one, not really for 16 but works

Attached Files:

13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’ll look through my pictures to verify.
  14. Ranger6

Thanks buddy!
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I was wrong my 525 has the T-wrench
  16. Ranger6

Is is for the 16 exclusively?
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

18. Ranger6

Yep got both of those, they work, just gotta be careful. Wonder why they don’t offer one for 16 only?
  19. maxximus64

maxximus64 Copper BB

There's a 16ga wrench with 2 chokes for $45 on ebay right now.

Browning 16ga choke wrench.PNG Browning 16ga choke wrench and chokes.PNG
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06