Gunfit and my Auto-5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Wingman, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

I like my Auto-5's alot and use them as my go to guns for bird hunting, recently though I have been missing a fair few which is frustrating. So, I took my 1952 A5 to my clay club and patterned it at 30 yards using my standard load (32gram number 5 shot) and was surprised how "out" it was. I shoot left eye closed due to a slight dominance problem and always look at the target never the barrel. Using my standard technique I was shooting slightly to the left but well under the centre of the circle. This was consistent so clearly the gun doesnt fit me well. So next step is to look at a comb raiser to improve things, I would have liked to fit a synthetic stock set but these are just not available in the UK. I wondered if anyone else has gun fit issues with Auto-5's and how you resolved them??
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That's an interesting patterning technique, Wingman. But if I were you I'd do it again the standard way: aimed like a rifle, from a rest if possible. That way you'll know if it's a gun fit problem, or just a gun problem.
    Setters4life and SHOOTER13 like this.
  3. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Not that odd this side of the pond R31!

The theory being that a well fitting shotgun should shoot where you look so this is a good way to test the fit. I agree that it wont easily show up any gun problems, but hey its a shotgun not much more than a tube for launching things out of! I'll get to the pattern plate sometime again soon though and try as you suggest. As its nearly Christmas I will be using my doubles for the more "formal" shoots we have over the next couple of weeks so the Auto-5's will get a bit of a rest.

I have to admit I have a real soft spot for a classic side by side as well as my autos...
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Seems like a good way to do it-- after you rule out a bent barrel.
    kumpe likes this.