I am having a problem with a new to me A-5

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by d-2, Aug 20, 2015.

1. d-2

d-2 Copper BB

I traded for an A-5 that was made in the late 50's I believe. My problem is that I can only load one shell into the magazine at a time. Now I now something is not right with the shell stop or shell latch and I have taken this thing apart and put it back together a jillion times. Before I take it apart again can someone please tell me what part I need to replace or check on? The shell will go in to the magazine tube and then comes back to far or sits to low for the the front of the next shell to catch it on the rim of the brass and push it on into the magazine tube. I am sure it will be simple to fix but I am trying a short cut and am hoping that y'all can set me in the right direction. Thanks for any info...d-2
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum d-2 !!

Not familiar with your problem...but I'm sure some member will be along with a fix, so standby .
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Not sure I'm following you. If your gun has Speed Load, you should be able to push 2 (or 4 with the plug out) shells into the magazine. If it doesn't, you must press the Carrier Release button while loading. Either way, the last shell loaded should come part way out and rest on the Locking Block Latch (the part pinned to the bottom of the bolt).
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. d-2

d-2 Copper BB

That's the problem. I can't put more than one in the magazine. It does not catch the shell close enough to the magazine and it lays to low for the plastic end of the the shell to catch the brass end of the shell when I go to put another in. The locking bolt latch I thought was the problem and that the spring was worn or had became "sprung" . I replaced it with a new one and it still doesn't allow me to put more than one shell at a time in the magazine. Other than that it functions like the other 7 or 8 I have. I will try and get pictures later on tonight I have guns that I have to blue this afternoon. Thanks for the info and this site is GREAT...d2
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I'm still not visualizing this. But if one shell will go into the mag -- but not two -- I'd be looking inside the magazine. Either the tube is dented, the follower is out of round, something foreign is in there, the spring is tangled, or the plug is too long.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. d-2

d-2 Copper BB

I am not explaining it correctly. I will try and post some pictures after while. Thanks...d2
  7. d-2

d-2 Copper BB

Rudolph31, if I hold down on the carrier release button I can load the magazine tube full. If that the way it is supposed to work, it's the only one I have like it. I tried to post a picture and am not smart enough to do that. Thanks again...d2
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

D-2, there is nothing wrong with your shotgun. That's the way the Auto-5 worked from 1903 until 1953. Late that year John Browning's son Val designed a 2-piece carrier that didn't require the button to be pushed for loading. Not only that, but if the bolt was locked back the first round would be whisked into the chamber. They called it Speed Load and to this day I've only found it on Brownings.

To compare the old and new carriers, go here:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/PROD/B111106CA
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  9. d-2

d-2 Copper BB

Thanks, Rudolph31. I feel better now but of the several I own that's the only one that works that way. Thanks again...d2
  10. BRIT

BRIT Copper BB

hi, did you ever sort out this problem with loading, i,m getting the exact same problem?
  11. d-2

d-2 Copper BB

Brit, read Rudolph31's reply. Mine was older than I thought and all I had to do was to hold down on the carrier release while loading. When you do it that way the shell will stay in the magazine as you put another one in...d2
  12. BRIT

BRIT Copper BB

thanks d-2, it just seemed odd always loaded with 2 carts with no problem.the mags restricted to 2 because of the gun laws here in the UK but i think the problem may lie elsewhere as i,ve tried to hold down the carrier but the 2nd cart still won,t go in and the mag slides back freely so no obstruction there,looks like a gunsmith,s job. Thanks for the quick reply and info,much appreciated....brit.
  13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum BRIT !!

It is customary to introduce yourself to our community by starting your own thread via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
  14. BRIT

BRIT Copper BB

d-2, got it sussed out, the mag plug was worn and allowing just one cart in the mag,i had a new one lathed out and now it,s fine,thanks.