1968 Challenger

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by Maudite, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Maudite

Maudite Copper BB

Here's my 1968 Vintage Challenger.

[​IMG]

It's a real good shooter and prefers high velocity 22 LR.

M
    Jester560 and Hairtrigger like this.
  2. Tug

Tug Copper BB

3. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

love the look of the vintage challenger. How long have you had it?
  4. Maudite

Maudite Copper BB

I've had it about a year. Have the owners manual and the Browning rug that it came with. Its in great shape and just a good shooter, fun gun.

M
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Wow...And I thought I was gonna see this when I opened the post...

[​IMG]

All kiddin' aside...real nice my friend !!
    Hairtrigger likes this.
  6. Maudite

Maudite Copper BB

Is that sittin' in your driveway? Awfully nice!

M
  7. rfo1

rfo1 Copper BB

Maudite,
    Nice gun. The front sight has me baffled as I thought Challengers of your vintage did not have a ramp below the patridge sight. Could your barrel possibly be from a later model gun?
  8. Nomad 6

Nomad 6 Copper BB

Except for the grips and front sight it looks alot like the Nomad. Jerry
  9. Just as an FYI..... The front sight ramp is correct. I'm guessing your serial number might be in the 7 U or later (8 U, 9 U etc.) vintage. The early Nomads and Challengers had a single one piece front sight and Browning made the change sometime around 1966 or 1967 ( I think, without checking my records). In answering the post regarding looking like a Nomad. For the most part frames for the Nomad, Challenger and Medalists are interchangeable and can only be identified by their serial number as a different model.
    T = Medalist, U = Challenger, P = Nomad. The difference between the models are the grips and barrels, pouch vs. box vs. presentation case.
  10. diceman3

diceman3 Copper BB

Hi, I am a new member and just purchased a pristine 1962 Challenger. I would love to disassemble but I can't find a manual online. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  11. losrobles

losrobles Copper BB

12. BrowningCollector

BrowningCollector Copper BB

Contact me at here and I will either make a copy for you or see if I have any extra original manuals for the 1962. Does your pistol have the scope mount grooves?

Jim
  13. diceman3

diceman3 Copper BB

Thanks for the manual. What would scope mount grooves look like?
  14. Cedarhill

Cedarhill .22LR

I purchased a Browning Challenger a few weeks ago at a gun show. The seller had it hanging on a tennis shoe string around his neck. I snapped it up as
    soon as I saw it. The serial # is from 1966. It shoots wonderfully and with the help of the different blogs I am finding out a great deal about it. It is in pristine
    condition which is great.
    Problem is the magazines for it. I have picked up one extra for $130 and they are few on Ebay but I keep bidding too low to win one. My solution is that I
    purchased a Buckmark and their magazines are around $30 and I have purchased 3 extra. I guess I will have to keep looking for more mags.
  15. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum CedarHill !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
  16. John McCarthy

John McCarthy Copper BB

The Challengers are special pistols made at a time when quality was at it's height. I too wish original mags were more reasonable.
  17. ross

ross Copper BB

Needs some racing stripes:D