1973 Browning Challenger Info needed

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by 5bassman, Feb 27, 2014.

1. 5bassman

5bassman Copper BB

My future son-in-law brought a couple of guns over that had belonged to his father. His dad passed away about 7 years ago in his 40's. One of them was a Colt Python (that's a story within itself) and the other one was this Browning Challenger made in 1973 and looks like new. He wants to sell them, and wants to use the money for another gun that fits his needs better. I would like to keep them in the family and one day pass them on to my grandson (his "soon to be" step son), who is 5 years old right now. What is a fair price to him in the condition that is shown? Two sold recently on Gunbrokers for $510 and $531. I've gotten some other feedback in the $500 ballpark. Opinions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. mark2506

mark2506 Copper BB

Your 1973 Challenger appears correct, correct three line barrel address for this period with correct type front sight, correct type checkered grips for this period. Without correct pouch and manual the $500-525 price would be a fair retail price. The .22's were introduced as coming in the November 1961 catalog, introduced in the April 1962 catalog, but the Challenger was not avaliable until about June 20, 1962 per letter to Dealers dated May 2, 1962. MSRP $64.95 per first news release. Although discontinued in the catalog after 1974, there were Challengers manufactured in 1975.
  3. I'd be more interested in the Python, if I were you. I had one about 10 years ago and had to sell it. I've regretted that ever since... especially since I got it for $550 and now you can't touch them for less than $1500 and that's in less than good shape.

(heavy sigh)