Double Auto

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by Dallas_CMT, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

I took the 1959 Double Auto TwentyWeight (in black) out to the clays range today for a shoot. Still enjoy shooting this old but lightweight and smooth gun. Never a misfire I can recall.

The improved cylinder barrel is almost always used, but today I brought the full choke barrel along as well. I don't think it's been fired in 30 years. Busted a bunch of clays thrown straight away from me, and wow, that is a difference shooting full instead of IC. When I was right on the clay, it absolutely smoked it even out to 35-40 yards. If I was just slight off in aim, I would nick or barely break the clay.

Next I fitted the IC barrel and shot two rounds of skeet. I can never get better than 23/25 with this gun, but it's a smooth shooter. I do wish it held more shells, but that's why there's the Maxus. :)
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sounds like a great day on the range...
  3. Charlieb68

Charlieb68 .22LR

Post some pictures if you would. I'm just getting into trap and skeet, and not too familiar with the various models of Browning shotguns, so I enjoy seeing visuals to help me remember the different models.
  4. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Okay - Browning Double Automatic "Twentyweight". One barrel is IC, other is Full choke. Serial number shows it was made in 1959. It's in a leather/wool Browning case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Charlieb68

Charlieb68 .22LR

That is a beautiful setup.
  6. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Thanks! I really like it too, it's my most nostalgic gun. I inherited it from a long lost uncle who was an oil man in Texas. His name is engraved in the same gold color on the back of the receiver.

When he died, no one wanted it! I was about 20 years old, and my mom ended up with it. She asked if I wanted a gun, I said sure, and she brought it in. That was about 34 years ago and I still treasure it.
  7. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

That's a great story and beautiful gun. Thanks for sharing. All the best.

BTK