Another Safari FN request

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by PaulyP, May 23, 2013.

1. PaulyP

PaulyP Copper BB

Ok, found and bought a Safari Fn .270. Great rifle !
    Supposed to be from 1965 - Serial number has me going in circles.
    It isn't fitting in with anything I am finding.
    Can anyone steer me in the proper direction?

Have pictures here: http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/PaulyP1698/slideshow/

Let me know what you decipher !

Thanks !
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!
  3. Hello,

Your Safari Grade was actually made in late 1961. Browning had not yet went to the year code with the Safari i.e. until sometime between your number L 11420 and serial number 2 L 11856 (.308 small ring). Serial number L 11557 is the last serial number I show for 1961 made Safari Grades (so far).

Side note: The Medallion and Olympian Grades all had the year code prefix in 1961 as 1 X and you couldn't tell the model you had, Medallion or Olympian, by the serial number because both had X as the prefix. Browning/FN changed that in 1962. Hope this helps.
  4. PaulyP

PaulyP Copper BB

Thank You Very Much !
    I have been browsing all of the guns for sale sites accumulating serial numbers and dates stated as made for the past few months now. I pretty much came up with same conclusion. Oldest SN I found was an L 9613.
    I did find one that I assume was a "70, but the prefex ( A70L 1071) has me stumped. Definetely a FN !

Thanks Again !

PaulyP
  5. If you go to the website below you will find pix and a story about serial #1. The first Browning Safari Grade Bolt Action Rifle made in 1959. Later this year there will some more pix and story about two other rifles we can't talk about yet, but will soon.

My dad purchased his first Safari Grade in 1964 and hunted with it in 6-7 States with it. We have a lot of Belgium Browning Rifles, but that .270 means the most to me. The A70L you reference... The best explanation I've come with is that the A stands for Arnold in Missouri where Browning repair facility is. I have 50+ pages of Browning serial numbers I've kept track of over the years and have never seen a pre 1966 rifle with the extra letter in the serial number until after 1966 which is when Browning moved from Washington St. in St. Louis to Arnold. Not sure if th A serial numbers are correct or parts guns.
  6. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Beautiful rifle. Enjoy it!

I have a 1959 gun in .30-06.