Where do you guys buy your Ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by DaveinCT, Oct 23, 2010.

1. DaveinCT

DaveinCT Copper BB

I usually use Wal-Mart or my local dealer but I'm about ready to start stockin up on 12GA slugs and 00 Buck as well .223 and 22LR rounds.

Anybody have any suggestions on good prices and selection online??
  2. DHonovich

DHonovich Founder Staff Member Administrator

Walmart is where I get most of my ammo. Seems to be the cheapest around.
  3. Rossignol

Rossignol .410

For both slugs and 00, walmart is as good as it gets unless youre looking for specialty stuff. You may not find the Federal Tactical 00, but you can def get the flight control. But the bulk Winchester, Remington and Federal are generally real close in price. I think $13.00 is the most I have spent on a box @ Walmart.

I have no problem spending $11.00 on 25 shells of #6 bird shot, or about the same price for 15 shells of 00 or slugs.

If youre into reloading, the Winchester AA's are great from what I understand
  4. hunter72

hunter72 .22LR

I buy my practice 00 and slugs from the local gunshows, Royal is the brand. $2.50 a box of 5, I get a little break for bulk (50+ at a time).
    Most of my drills are fairly close range on steel so pattern is not that important.
    The slugs and shot hit the same POA as Ranger LEO low recoil(goes in the HD), purchased through one of my PD's

I train Brand new shooters and novice shooters with whatever bulk is on sale at walmart. then transition to the royal, then whatever they choose.
  5. Rossignol

Rossignol .410

This is probably the wrong place for this, but how does the Ranger pattern compared to Federal LE/Reduced recoil flight control?

Can civies buy the Ranger ammo?
  6. DaveinCT

DaveinCT Copper BB

Thanks fellas.

Question on Sabots, can they be shot through Improved Cylinder barrel? A buddy of mine gave me 4 boxes that he didn't need anymore. Sabots are for rifled barrels I believe??
  7. Rossignol

Rossignol .410

Thats my understanding. It seems when ever I look them up online, somewhere it says "for rifled barrels".
  8. Rossignol

Rossignol .410

With smoothbore or open cylinder or improved, your best bet is to use rifled slugs, as theyre designed for that kind of use to produce the best results.
  9. hunter72

hunter72 .22LR

Ranger and Federal pattern pretty darn close IMHO, Ranger just kicks less. It is important to remember that slugs were primarlily designed for hunting, Buck for that matter also. It is a fairly modern practice to produce HD or "Low Recoil" LEO/Military rnds. Historically and even today(Winchester especially, their stuff is the same but a different color shell) Military/MOST PD's use off the shelf ammo. WHen I got to one of my PD's I work with, they had only Remington loads, same loads as walmart carries. Ranger is availible to civies, I've seen it at basspro and lots of it at local Gun shows.

Sabot are in fact for rifled bbls, however, for training at say 15yds or less it will do fine. (had more than one student show up with all sabots)
    It will work well enough at MOST HD distances as well, Its just not nade for a smooth bore but NO damage will occur is shot through a MOD or less choke.
  10. DaveinCT

DaveinCT Copper BB

Thanks for the Info on the Sabots guys.

Where are buying the Rangers, Hunter?? I'd like to check them out..
  11. hunter72

hunter72 .22LR

12. Rossignol

Rossignol .410

can be purchased by LE only.

Maybe from a gun show.
  13. DaveinCT

DaveinCT Copper BB

I noticed that. I'll have to do a search and see if there are any gun shows going on around me here in CT.
  14. hunter72

hunter72 .22LR

Look around your local shops, it is only winchesters wish that its LEO only.
    It is availible here at the local bass pro on occasion, they have never ID'd me (although I have credentials).

I am not an LEO (not current post) although working with their weapons and instructing entitles me to creds

bought a case of this today, through a local gunshop no creds.
    By the case its 3 bucks a box for slugs and OO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Rossignol

Rossignol .410

Around here, our local shop doesnt even carry Federal LE.
  16. hunter72

hunter72 .22LR

Called a buddy in the know,

Dealers are sapposed to sell it to LEO only, many do not bother once they get the product.
    If anyone is near Missouri (central) I can help out, but I don't want to mess with shipping it.
    (I am not a dealer and do not sell ammo for profit or business) I do sell ammo to students that do not bring enough or any.
  17. Rossignol

Rossignol .410

Well, I've always wanted to try the Ranger ammo, but I'm not dead set on getting it. Federal patterns very well...
  18. DaveinCT

DaveinCT Copper BB

Very nice deal you get there Hunter. I just checked for Gun Shows in my area and I missed one this weekend and the next one isn't for a while. Another show scheduled for the weekend of Nov 6th that was about 10 miles from me was canceled!! I remember a guy I used to work with about 15 years ago used to tell me how he went alot of shows, seemed like every weekend.

I'm in the market for a Mossberg 4x4 now like the one ultimate CC just built so a gun show would be nice. I'm gonna inquire some more and see if the armory up by where I grew up is doing any shows..
  19. hunter72

hunter72 .22LR

Honestly, what I tell my students is to buy whatever walmart has on sale (target loads) and practice with that, buy a full load out (gun + side saddle etc, plus a box of each slug and OO for a practice session. 110 rnds per session does wonders. Maybe if they can afford it keep an full load out on hand.

Other than a full load out to start, I do not think its absolutly needed to have 500 extra rounds of HD ammo(ammo whores don't kill me).

My training has changed with the times, I should to suggest 100 targets plus 20 of full house ammo. For a lot of folks thats just not feasable anymore.
    With the target loads as cheap as they are they will work for short range practice, just have to repaper your targets nmore often.
    Just my opinion though.
  20. hunter72

hunter72 .22LR

Gun Broker has ranger and federal, 250 rnds for about 170, thats about 3.40 per box plus shipping.