Who reloads their own ammo?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Billythekid, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

anybody reload their own ammo? for those that do, what gauge/cartridge do you roload? Thinking about doing it but havent decided what i would rather reload ammo for the shotguns or rifles...

BTK
    lrrp75thRngr likes this.
  2. clint

clint Copper BB

I do a little rifle and pistol reloading and teach the basics. I do not reload shotgun. I have been reloading for 50 years, never had a misfire or a pressure issue, but anyone who pays attention to what they are doing can do the same. I find it more "cost savings" to reload for rifle and pistol, but not shotgun as there are many good deals out there for shotgun shells, actually for less money than one can reload them. Reloading is a very enjoyable activity that can easily be shared with your friends.
  3. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Been reloading my own for quite some time. Started with reloading shotshells when I started out hunting. (My dad said if I wanted to shoot I needed to learn how to reload.) Probably since the late 60's. I reload for 12, 16 & 20 gauges today. Took up metallic reloading for rifle in '75, and pistol cartridges shortly after.

All game I've shot has been with reloads. It's a great way to tailor loads to your gun, and you learn a lot by doing so. In the early days, I had to read as much as I could to learn. Today, it's still good to read but there's a ton of good and useful stuff on the internet these days. There are a couple of forums specific to reloading (I.E. handloads.com, accurateshooter.com, castboolits.com) that offer a wealth of info. If you shoot rifles for extreme accuracy, you'll want to reload to get the most from your gun.

If you have any questions, let me know.
  4. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

I've only been reloading for a few years, but I've tried to make up for it in range of calibers reloaded as well as quantity. :D

Just yesterday, we set out on a mission to try to find and buy the goodies needed to reload both 270 Win and 308 Win - especially the 308 since we have several rifles in that caliber. Amazingly, we succeeded in getting everything: dies, shell holders, primers and 3 of the 4 powders I'd pre-selected. :mrgreen: I'll be setting up my Lee Challenger press for the rifle calibers.

Most of my reloading is done on a separate bench equipped with 3 presses:
    • Dillon 650XL for pistol
    • Pacific 366 for 12 gauge shotgun
    • MEC Sizemaster for 20 gauge
    The Lee single stage is mounted on the regular workbench

[​IMG]

Up until very recently, all of my reloading has been pistol:
    • 380 ACP - soft shooting practice ammo for those snappy little pocket pistols
    • 9mm - 10K+ rounds/year for action pistol competition as well as the wife's sub-caliber Colt AR
    • 40 S&W - where I started in action pistol reloading, and still shoot some
    • 45 ACP - different loads for 1911's as well as revolvers
    • 38 Special - one of my favorite action pistols, also in my Marlin 1894
    Kid Sopris and SHOOTER13 like this.
  5. florizark

florizark Copper BB

New member, first post. Been reloading since mid 70's Rifle ,pistol, shotgun.
    1.Its fun and helps keep you connected to the sport, gives a deeper understanding to shooting.
    2.Lets you custom your loads, you can make ammo that you can't get elsewhere. This may not always be better than factory, just different. ( I make shot shells for all my hand gun calibers I can't find otc.)
    3.Availability, even now, I can load for obsolete cartridges I can't find or for the more common calibers that I or others have that seem to be absent from shelves.
    4.I have found, outside of initial setup, reloading is cheaper than factory, even in this economy. However, cost should be the last reason to reload. I have found that if cost is the only reason, then the action is usually not as enjoyable.
    lrrp75thRngr likes this.
  6. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

Many of the guns I shoot are odd chamberings (22-454!)
    I reload almost 100% of the ammo I shoot except of course rimfire
  7. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I don't reload, but I sure do unload the stuff quicker than you can imagine! :D
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Always wanted to start reloading...always found another reason not to... !!

Usually another firearm... ;)
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I started reloading when I bought a couple of 16 gauge Auto-5s. If you shoot a 16 it's the only way to assure a supply of ammo. I reload 2 3/4" shells a couple of times, then cut them to 2 9/16" and load them for my 1924 model. I about break even on the standard shells but save a lot on the shorts.
  10. Charlieb68

Charlieb68 .22LR

I reload pretty much everything from .25 to 45-70, but no shotgun reloading.

Started with a lee single stage, and now I use a lee four hole turret press.
  11. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Copper BB

I currently load 7MM Rem mag, .300 Win. Mag, .308 Win., 243 Win. in rifle calibers.
    9MM, 40 S&W, 44 rem mag. in pistol.
    I have loaded many more rifle and pistol cartridges in the past. I used to load a lot of 12 gauge back in the day when dove shoots were free and I was shooting skeet, but I don't load any shotgun shells anymore.
    I've been doing this for over 40 years and started with a basic Lee loader in 7X57 mauser. Now it's become a hobby sort of. I spend a lot of time trying to get the most accurate loads possible.
  12. B78

B78 Copper BB

I've been reloading on my own since 1969. Before that, I stood by my dad when he was loading. :)

I load for everything I own, from 9mm on up to large rifle. I take that back (a little).... I don't reload .380 for my BDA 380. I don't shoot it enough to warrant hand loading that caliber. With the exception of .380, I cannot remember the last factory cartridges I bought.

I also have a MEC 9000G set up for loading 12 gauge trap shells, but seldom use it now. A couple of years ago I cranked out enough 12 gauge shells to keep me shooting for a few years.

If you're thinking of starting to reload, don't do it with the expectation of saving money. It will take you years to recoup the initial outlay. Do it because you want to learn, or because you're interested in that aspect of the hobby. For me, hand loading is just as important as shooting.
  13. BennyS

BennyS Copper BB

reloading for about a year now, 30-06, 308 win, 5.56. 45ACP, 9mm.
  14. nitesite

nitesite .410

Hello.

I can reload for 12- and 20-gauge, although for the past couple of years I stopped because I have hundreds of loaded #6, #7.5 and #8s to shoot plus a couple cases of Remington STS and Nitro27 factory ammo. The five bags of shot that I still have cost about $25/bag and I couldn't replace them now for double that so I just look at them.

Plus, shotgun powder is like pistol powder in 2014, like a unicorn.... non-existant.

But if I HAD to load shotgun right now I could do a buttload of it with the components I have.

I still reload/handload all my centerfire handgun and rifle cartridges and cast a LOT of pistol/revolver bullets from the wheel weights I have acquired for free, and primers are now available again. Pistol powder, as I said, like shotgun powder is impossible to find; but I bought a long time ago for cheap and now that has paid off because I have at least ten pounds of different handgun powders for 9mm, .38/.357, .45Auto, .45Colt.

The .223 and .308 is going well since I have pounds of Varget, IMR4895, H335 and BL-(C)2 and plenty of brass and primers and bullets.

Anyway, I reload a lot but shotgun is the one that I don't really need to get to these days.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  15. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Don't think I've ever seen pics of your setup nitesite...got any ?!

What brand press do you use...?
  16. nitesite

nitesite .410

Hi, Shooter.

I just re-painted and re-floored "The Reloading Room" and am in the process of putting in new shelving (two 6'H x 5'W x 2'D shelf units) so I'll give you a view when I get the "few" things I have put away on those shelves.

I have three MEC shotgun presses, a Lyman T-Mag turret, and a Lee Classic Cast 4-die Turret plus a Lee single stage.
  17. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

OK Brother...can't wait to see the finished "room" !!

Till then...stay frosty out there !!
  18. nitesite

nitesite .410

Here you go, SHOOTER13...

My bench shelves with powder, primers, brass, bullets, casting stuff and reference manuals:

[​IMG]

Three of my presses (two more shotgun presses in the garage):

[​IMG]

A lot of my loaded ammo, mostly reloads plus some miscellaneous crap:

[​IMG]
    Kid Sopris likes this.
  19. SOG

SOG .22LR

You win you have more toys then me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. nitesite

nitesite .410

It's never a contest so I certainly don't "win" anything... <grin>

But I get what you said; it was tongue-in-cheek.

I started out in a corner of a laundry room, maybe 12-square feet. Back when I was packed in there I saw pics of others' setups and was utterly amazed at how roomy and well stocked they were.

It took years to gradually get to the point of having enough stuff to "justify" having my own room dedicated to just this hobby!!!

And it's just seven steps to the refigerator when friends come over!!!!!!!