What kind of ear protection does everyone use?

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by Billythekid, May 25, 2011.

1. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

i Currently use the Radians CEP001-R Custom Molded Earplugs. They were pretty cheap and work great for trap and skeet.
  2. DHonovich

DHonovich Founder Staff Member Administrator

I too wear the Radians CEP001 Custom Molded Earplugs. They are extremely comfortable and do a great job protecting my ears.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I use SUREFIRE EP3 Sonic Defenders...

[​IMG]

EP3 Sonic Defenders protect your hearing without interfering with your ability to hear routine sounds or conversations. Their double-flange stem design fits most people and provides a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 24dB. Sounds, at safe levels, are allowed to pass through into the ear canal, while potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced via a proprietary design that incorporates the patented Hocks Noise BrakerĀ® filter. EP3s include attached stopper plugs, which can be inserted for further protection, and they also block out lower-level noise like that heard on a plane. They can be used in situations where hearing ambient sounds or conversations isn't critical.

The right/left color-coded Sonic Defenders are made from a soft but durable, hypoallergenic polymer and are ergonomically shaped, with an adjustable-stem design, providing a secure fit, all-day comfort, and extended product life (3 to 6+ months, depending on usage and care). And their low-profile design means they can be worn while wearing a helmet or mask, or while using a phone or headset. Each set is packaged in a convenient carry case. Available in clear or black.

===============================================================

I got them for $12 a pair at a PA gun show...so I bought two pair.

$13.95 (+s/h) from the Surefire site...

===============================================================

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  4. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

I use the 'memory foam' ones that provide 33 dB of noise attenuation. There are a couple different styles/shapes/materials that I like, and at least one or two that I don't. I also wear these daily under my helmet as I ride a motorcycle to and from work on the freeway.

I have a set of over-the-ear muffs that afford 31 or 32 dB of attenuation I use sometimes. I like them, but it gets super-hot underneath them here in the desert. Also, shooting glasses sometimes interfere with the seal/attenuation.

I've recently tried an 'all-natural' moldable ear plug labeled as Mighty Plugs, and another name I've forgotten. They seemed like a great idea, and should provide 31+ dB of attenuation, but in reality they don't work very well for me at all, at least on the bike. I don't believe I've tried them while out shooting.
  5. Billythekid

The molded ear plugs i use, are great for shooting light loads (trap/skeet) because they are extremely comfortable but i would not use them to shoot with my rifle. They just dont provide enough protection.
  6. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

I have an old Sears 20-gauge shotgun, but I basically never shoot it or any other shotgun. Are they not as loud as rifles?
  7. Billythekid

Unless i am shooting slugs out of my shotgun, typically my 30-06 rifle is louder than the shotgun.
  8. oddshot

oddshot Copper BB

just got caldwell g3 platinum electronic ear muffs... havent trialled yet....hope to post results later.
    Later.
    Am happy with the g3 so far....

if i had to complain

red light on during operation
    plastic looking adjustment housing seems like fragile
    picks up "wind" sound, but i guess that is hard to avoid

what i liked

continous sound operation means no cut outs
    can be used "like" hearing aid, as dramatically amplifies surounding noises
    comfortable

to consider: neck mounted protection as hat or beanie wearing is a challenge
    i got rechargeable batteries that cost half as much as the unit

looks like non electronic protection is a good alternative to the costly electric, which probably won't like the weather .. rain.

oddshot
    to consider: neck mounted, not over head versions, as hat or beanie wearing is a challenge.
  9. DHonovich

DHonovich Founder Staff Member Administrator

Let us know what you think of them.
  10. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

Most of my shooting is action pistol using subsonic ammo, so it's a lot quieter than high power rifle. None the less, I wear a set of electronic Pro Ears "Gold" muffs to protect what's left of my hearing. They're big & bulky and rated at 33db.

However, when I'm shooting a high power rifle, I wear a set of custom fit Radians ear plugs fitted over my old set of hearing aids that I wear under a set of electronic MSA "Supreme Pro-X Ear" muffs that are shaped for rifle & shotgun. The combination is superb.
  11. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Depends. Shooting a rifle or handgun, I use some 31NRR muffs. Shotgunning I use the old $0.99 memory foam plugs with a 33NRR. For Magnums, or when I am shooting the M4 SBR, I double them up together.