What kind of ear protection does everyone use?

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:23 pm
i Currently use the Radians CEP001-R Custom Molded Earplugs. They were pretty cheap and work great for trap and skeet.
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:04 pm
I too wear the Radians CEP001 Custom Molded Earplugs. They are extremely comfortable and do a great job protecting my ears.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:04 pm
I use SUREFIRE EP3 Sonic Defenders...

EP3 Sonic Defenders protect your hearing without interfering with your ability to hear routine sounds or conversations. Their double-flange stem design fits most people and provides a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 24dB. Sounds, at safe levels, are allowed to pass through into the ear canal, while potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced via a proprietary design that incorporates the patented Hocks Noise BrakerĀ® filter. EP3s include attached stopper plugs, which can be inserted for further protection, and they also block out lower-level noise like that heard on a plane. They can be used in situations where hearing ambient sounds or conversations isn't critical.

The right/left color-coded Sonic Defenders are made from a soft but durable, hypoallergenic polymer and are ergonomically shaped, with an adjustable-stem design, providing a secure fit, all-day comfort, and extended product life (3 to 6+ months, depending on usage and care). And their low-profile design means they can be worn while wearing a helmet or mask, or while using a phone or headset. Each set is packaged in a convenient carry case. Available in clear or black.

===============================================================

I got them for $12 a pair at a PA gun show...so I bought two pair.

$13.95 (+s/h) from the Surefire site...

===============================================================

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:51 pm
I use the 'memory foam' ones that provide 33 dB of noise attenuation. There are a couple different styles/shapes/materials that I like, and at least one or two that I don't. I also wear these daily under my helmet as I ride a motorcycle to and from work on the freeway.

I have a set of over-the-ear muffs that afford 31 or 32 dB of attenuation I use sometimes. I like them, but it gets super-hot underneath them here in the desert. Also, shooting glasses sometimes interfere with the seal/attenuation.

I've recently tried an 'all-natural' moldable ear plug labeled as Mighty Plugs, and another name I've forgotten. They seemed like a great idea, and should provide 31+ dB of attenuation, but in reality they don't work very well for me at all, at least on the bike. I don't believe I've tried them while out shooting.
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:35 pm
The molded ear plugs i use, are great for shooting light loads (trap/skeet) because they are extremely comfortable but i would not use them to shoot with my rifle. They just dont provide enough protection.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:19 pm
I have an old Sears 20-gauge shotgun, but I basically never shoot it or any other shotgun. Are they not as loud as rifles?
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:56 pm
Unless i am shooting slugs out of my shotgun, typically my 30-06 rifle is louder than the shotgun.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:10 am
just got caldwell g3 platinum electronic ear muffs... havent trialled yet....hope to post results later.
Later.
Am happy with the g3 so far....

if i had to complain

red light on during operation
plastic looking adjustment housing seems like fragile
picks up "wind" sound, but i guess that is hard to avoid

what i liked

continous sound operation means no cut outs
can be used "like" hearing aid, as dramatically amplifies surounding noises
comfortable

to consider: neck mounted protection as hat or beanie wearing is a challenge
i got rechargeable batteries that cost half as much as the unit

looks like non electronic protection is a good alternative to the costly electric, which probably won't like the weather .. rain.

oddshot
to consider: neck mounted, not over head versions, as hat or beanie wearing is a challenge.
Last edited by oddshot on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:51 am
Let us know what you think of them.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:46 pm
Depends on what I'm shooting. Shotgun - either "memory foam" or rubber ear plugs. Handguns or Rifles - Caldwell electronic muffs with/without foam ear plugs (depends on cal., ambient noise level, and range).

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:02 pm
Most of my shooting is action pistol using subsonic ammo, so it's a lot quieter than high power rifle. None the less, I wear a set of electronic Pro Ears "Gold" muffs to protect what's left of my hearing. They're big & bulky and rated at 33db.

However, when I'm shooting a high power rifle, I wear a set of custom fit Radians ear plugs fitted over my old set of hearing aids that I wear under a set of electronic MSA "Supreme Pro-X Ear" muffs that are shaped for rifle & shotgun. The combination is superb.
.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:34 pm
Depends. Shooting a rifle or handgun, I use some 31NRR muffs. Shotgunning I use the old $0.99 memory foam plugs with a 33NRR. For Magnums, or when I am shooting the M4 SBR, I double them up together.
You can keep your french fries and plastic toys, for me a Happy Meal is one that after I am finished eating it, I can hang the head on the wall as tribute.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting