Another A5 looking for its birthday

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by carlsenior, Apr 4, 2014.

1. carlsenior

carlsenior Copper BB

Hi, i'm new to the forum scene although I have been shooting for many years,
    I have an old A5 (well i'm guessing it is!) which i've owned for over 20 years and no matter where I look I can't seem to find out the year of manufacture! So I was hoping that the wealth of knowledge here could help me ;)
    Here goes..... A5 12 gauge serial number 61 (in small numbers) 37054 (in large numbers) there are no letter prefixes only proof marks, it has the curved horn butt plate browning automatic FN
    with all the FN writing on the barrel (it also has a polychoke and cutts compensator)
    The only writing / engraving of any kind on the reciever is Browning FN.
    It has a rear safety and magazine safety fitted and apart from the rounded pistol grip on the walnut stock thats about it.
    I'd really appreciate it if anone can help me date this shotgun as i'd like to know if its worth restoring :)
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Carl !!
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Sounds like you have a "World Market" Auto-5. That's one that wasn't imported by Browning and didn't use their serial numbering system. I'll bet it says "Acier Special" on the barrel where most say "Special Steel". Although I have no reference for this, I'm certain the small digits in the serial number represent a 1961 date of production.

At 53 your gun may seem old and rare but it's not for an Auto-5. They made millions and they don't wear out. A Poly-Choke or Cutts Compensator normally decreases collector value, but yours is the first gun I've heard of that has BOTH. I can't quite picture that, but if true your gun is very rare.

Assuming it has one or the other, your gun is a shooter and you probably won't get your restoration money back if you sell it. If you plan to keep it then I say go for it.
  4. carlsenior

carlsenior Copper BB

Hey Rudolph, thanks for the reply it looks like you've solved the problem ;)
    It must be a World Market auto 5 and it has the "Acier Special" as you said.
    You were also right about the compensator, I was sold a bum steer with the cutts compensator -
    it has a ventilated Polychoke !
    So i've decided to give her a makeover in my own style as she really is a good shooter, I'm awaiting delivery of a laminated stock and fore-end in "forest camo" from Boyds in the USA complete with ventilated recoil pad and the barrel and reciever have been painted in forest green heat resistant paint (type used for stoves) so watch this space for a one of a kind A5 :lol:
    Thanks for the information and thanks for the welcome Shooter 13
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

No problem Carl....only Cutts Compensator I've seen is on my Thompson (below)!!
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The Cutts Compensator was the original screw-in choke. And they look pretty cool. Here's an Auto-5 with one up for auction: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =407026839

One of my Brownings has a Poly-Choke on it. It's not as cool as the Cutts, but twisting is easier than fiddling with a wrench and spare tubes.

Looking forward to seeing the finished gun. While you're working on it, I suggest that you replace the Recoil and Action springs. You can get them here: http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgw ... ing-auto-5
    And MGW also has the Field Service Manual available to download--free.
  7. carlsenior

carlsenior Copper BB

Well I finally got the stock and forend from Boyds today after customs took their pound of flesh :?
    It took me around 2 hours of filing and sanding to get a good fit they really are first class products and worth the wait ! it's different :lol:
    sorry for the bad photos :oops:

Attached Files:

8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hey Carl! First camo I've seen that I actually LIKED. Didn't realize till now that you're in the UK. With what you paid for that stock you probably could have bought a whole gun here in the states!
  9. carlsenior

carlsenior Copper BB

Rudolph, I paid £60 for the gun over 20 years ago and boy it's had some use, the fore-end in the UK is nearly £200! i had it repaired a couple of times never with any success so I had the Boyds custom option stock, fore-end and recoil pad for $170 including the postage then paid £32 tax our side of the pond so it works out at around £160 so not a bad deal add £6 for paint and the job's done -
    My A5 is usable again and certainly looks different :D