First year of the Gold trigger on the Sweet 16?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Brylsa14, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Brylsa14

Brylsa14 Copper BB

What was the first year the gold trigger was put on the sweet sixteen? I have looked but cannot seem to find this information. Was it 1948 when they started the Gold sweet sixteen lettering?
    Also, has anyone ever heard of a "parts gun" from Browning in relation to the A-5's? I was at a gun show recently and someone who claimed to know a lot about Browning guns indicated that Browning made such a gun.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The Sweet Sixteen was test marketed in 1936 and made a regular catalogued item in 1937. It was identified by its gold trigger and safety. The receiver wasn't inscribed with the name until 1948. In 1951 Browning changed to a cross bolt safety and those were never gold plated.

[​IMG]
  3. Brylsa14

Brylsa14 Copper BB

So did all "sweet sixteens" have a Gold trigger and safety? Reason I ask is I have one from 1947 that has everything (cut outs in loading chamber, 3 holes in barrel ring, 2 3/4in chamber, solid matte rib, etc) but no gold trigger.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

As far as I know, yes. But a lot can happen to a gun in 60-70 years. Gold plate wears off. Parts get replaced. Yours is definitely a Sweet if it has the modifications you describe. The pictured Gun has had its trigger and safety re-plated.

If your gun is from 1947 it's a "Stealth Sixteen", so called because it's not marked on the receiver. If you take the trigger plate off you may see traces of gold on those parts where they were protected from handling.

If you opt to re-plate your parts, you'll need to copper plate first, or the gold won't stick.