1954 Browning A5 friction ring set up for..

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by FredCWO4, Feb 18, 2014.

1. FredCWO4

FredCWO4 Copper BB

I'm wondering if someone knows the correct friction ring setup for my new purchase. It's a 1954 Browning A5 and it came with the longer bird barrel. I just bought the 23.5" slug barrel with the rifle sights and want to shoot the Winchester Super X HP 1600 fps rifled slugs. Can someone tell me if the stock friction ring setup will be fine or if I'll need to change it so the shells eject correctly?

Thanks, Fred
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello Fred.

You'll want the heavy load setup with the mag tube wiped dry. In the order of how parts are put back on there's the Recoil Spring, the Steel Friction Piece-bevel up, then the Bronze Friction Piece-bevel up.

My normal advice is to replace the Recoil and Action springs on a newly purchased A5. Since you're shooting stout loads I would emphasize that.

I just posted about friction ring setup yesterday. It includes links for downloading the Field Service Manual and buying parts. It's worth a look. Also, I wouldn't use a magnum recoil spring for a 2 3/4" gun. I don't think it will fit in your fore end without modification.