1950 A5 Function Inquiry

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by losrobles, Dec 27, 2013.

1. losrobles

losrobles Copper BB

Hello all. New to the forum. I've done searches all over the interwebs including here, but haven't found an answer to my question. I came into possession of an old A5 12 ga. that belonged to my neighbor while I was growing up. The serial number puts it in 1950 territory. The safety is a push-forward/pull-back version inserted through the front of the trigger guard. The question I have concerns the operation of the carrier for loading the magazine. On this particular gun, with the bolt in-battery, the carrier is locked down in place and can only be freed to move upward to load shells into the magazine after pushing the bolt release button. On all my later A5's, the carrier is free to move up and down, spring-loaded of course, without having to do anything else. Can anyone advise whether this is normal operation for an A5 of this vintage or is there something amiss? Thank you for any enlightenment you might be able to provide.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Losrobles:

Thanks for the easy question!

The "Speed Load" feature was invented by Val Browning and was introduced in late 1953--50 years after the first Auto-5s manufactured. Guns with the single piece carrier can usually be loaded pretty efficiently by holding the carrier release button in until all shells are loaded. Pushing and releasing for each shell is a pain.

By the way, your style of safety was used until 1951.
  3. losrobles

losrobles Copper BB

Thank you. I knew someone here would have that at their fingertips. I'm happy to know it's made that way and not a problem requiring some smithing. Looking forward to making some once-fired shells with it soon.
  4. txrick55

txrick55 .22LR

MY son's 16 is of the same vintage. His 30th birthday present from Dad. On his, sometimes holding the button down only half way makes loading a bit easier & quicker. All my A5's are of the later vintage with the two-piece carrier, so it took a bit of training & practice at first, but he loads his just fine now.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Half way? I'll try it!