1963 A-5 value? Should I reblue?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by tomp, Dec 26, 2013.

1. tomp

tomp Copper BB

A 1966 Browning Auto 5 -- MADE IN BELIGUM

28' plain barrel (Mod)

Left side in Excellent condition. Right side receiver has some light pitting and it is scratched (see photo). Right side of barrel is damaged (see photos). Original wood in excellent condition.

Any suggestion on value?

Should I consider having it reblued professionally? How much would it cost and how much value, if any would it add or detract?

Thank you for the insights.

Attached Files:

2. txrick55

txrick55 .22LR

It would greatly depend on the depth of the rust pitting. The bluing is no problem as this is past the slow rust blue stage of browning production, and into the bluing salts stage. The results are a bit more black than blue. If the pitting depth requires welding & filling I would certainly give Art's a call.
    http://artsgunshop.com/
    His website contains a lot of info that may help your decision.

Any A5 made post war to 1967 is worth saving in my book. The value of the gun in the present condition will not be very high, and you would not re-coup the cost of restoration if you planning on just re-selling it. If you plan on keeping it, I would have it restored, and plan on someday handing it down to your son, you simply can not wear one out no matter how much you use it !!
    Is this a 12, 16 or 20 ga ?
  3. joester

joester .22LR

I agree, its in rough shape for much collector value....But, hey, if it shoots well and you like it, why not consider having it refinished in a " rust proof" coating? You can still passs it on to younger relatives when the time comes! I have had 2old, weathered A-5s redone, one in green teflon & the other matte silver hard chrome plating. Great wet weather hunting guns, esp. for sea ducks. I do not know your gun's value in present condition. Re: refinishing possibilities, just Google same, you can even get synthetic stocks/forearms. It might make $ense to sell your original, "vintage" wood ones...
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Looks like Art's will do all of that work for $370. Wonder how he stays in business...
  5. tomp

tomp Copper BB

It's a 20 Gauge which I hear is a bit rarer then 12 gauges.

This was my grandfather's shooter for small game hunting and he used it well. I am not hunting anymore and do not think I will get back into it. I have no one to pass it down to. My father had it in his gun safe for the last 30 years and I do not want to keep it in my safe just collecting dust.

So if restoring is not going to add value then I should just sell it for $700 and be done with it. Adding $370 for restoring will probably not allow me to return even a small amount of that cost.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You might get $700 for it. I paid $500 for a similar 20ga. Restored I'm guessing $1000. Worth it if you keep it for a few years. You could help us reduce the clay bird population...
  7. txrick55

txrick55 .22LR

Any decent Belgian A5 20 runs north of a grand here in North Texas, the better the condition, the higher the price. The 20 ga is very desirable due to the availability of ammunition. The issues with yours may knock it down by half, if it were my gun, I would consider having the rust removed & re-blue by a professional. Any gunsmith experienced with A5's should be able to help you.
  8. tomp

tomp Copper BB

Thanks all a lot to consider.