Auto 5 post war Cal.16/65 Ser. Nr. 2490 60

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Kreipe, May 30, 2013.

1. Kreipe

Kreipe Copper BB

Hello together, is there someone who can tell me something about the year of production. This gun has no Speed loading System but the new safety behind the Trigger and the caliber is 16/65. The first 4 Digits of th Serial nr. are normal sized and the last two are smaller. In the book of Matt Eastman - chapter post war Auto 5 Cal.16 Standard Serial numbers - I found no answer. Thanks in advance. Joachim Kreipe Germany
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hey Joachim, welcome to the brownin owners community!! Couple of questions for you so I can try to figure out the year. What markings does the barrel have? Does it say browning automatic arms co. Ogden Utah on it? Does the serial number have have an A anywhere next to it?
  3. Kreipe

Kreipe Copper BB

Hi again, there is a PJ above the Serial number. On the Barrelpart, which fits into the System there is the number D 2846 stamped and on the Barrel is written - Fabrique National DĀ“Armes De Guerre Herstal Belgique and Acier Specal C.16 23/4" 63,5m/m. Thanks. Joachim
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!
  5. txrick55

txrick55 .22LR

FN produced the A5 under agreement from the original John Moses Browning. Browning engraved guns were produced for the US market, FN ( as you mentioned above) engraved guns were produced for the European market. The guns are otherwise identical in form fit & function, and came off the same assembly line at FN.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

This is an old thread, so I hope Herr Kriepe is still here.

The cross bolt safety was introduced in 1951, though I believe the trigger guard safety was available on non-US marketed guns for some time afterwards.

US destined guns switched to 70mm (2 3/4") chambers after WWII, while European guns still had the short 65mm (2 9/16") chambers. (16-65).

Speed Loading became available in the US in 1953, though I have one from that year without it.

Serialization changed after WWII, especially for US marketed guns, and most confusingly for the 16 gauge. In 1947 a letter model code was added, but Browning kept changing it. In 1958 the date was added to the serial number (a single digit through 1967). However, in Europe FN used a simpler system and I believe the "60" in small digits in Joachim's gun signifies 1960.

One thing is certain--that shotgun has the short chamber and it isn't safe to use standard (in America) 2 3/4" shells. I hope 65mm is still available in Germany.

Last, most of my information comes from THE BOOK, available here:

http://www.fn-browning.com/Browning%20A ... otguns.htm
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks for the info and link....