just got my pistol, I have a mag question

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by mushoot, Jun 11, 2013.

1. mushoot

mushoot Copper BB

I just got my new to me Hi Power. It came with 2 mags. The springs in question are called magazine catch springs. When I use a mec gar mag in it the trigger pull is rough, not as smooth as with the factory mags. I think I will need a trigger job and the mag safety removed. Will that smooth things up? I have never seen this on a magazine before. The pistol was made in 2005. Thanks, John
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hey John, welcome to the browning owners community!!! sorry dont think i will be of much help with your question but hopefully some other Browning HI Power owners can chime in. All the best.

BTK
  3. mushoot

mushoot Copper BB

Thanks I am going to the range with it today. I will see how it shoots. My friends have never seen a magazine retention spring either. I guess I don"t get around enough.
  4. mushoot

mushoot Copper BB

Well, here is the reason for the mag retention springs. They eject the mag fully from the pistol. The Mec gar mag would only come part way out when ejected. I took the pistol for an action job and mag safety removal. All mags eject fully when I press the release button. The mag safety was preventing this with the springless mags. The trigger pull is now 3.5 lbs, much much better.
  5. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

thanks for the update and glad to here is much better now.
  6. mushoot

mushoot Copper BB

Also, my reloads are not as hot as factory ammo so the HP had jamming troubles with them. Since it came back from the smith with the action job I have had no such trouble. I think a going over from a good gunsmith is in order for a new HP.
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum mushoot !!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015
  8. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Copper BB

I haven't got my new Hi-power in my hands yet which I ordered from AIM surplus. But I also ordered a Mec-gar 15 round mag from Midway and I plan on having my gunsmith removing the mag safety and doing some trigger work. Mine will be an Israeli police turn-in and it's a Mk II made in the sixti4es according to AIM.

I'm planning to try some Plus P+ loads in the gun and also reloading for it. The defense load that I like in my other 9mm's is the Hornady critical duty Plus + 135 grain load. I also plan on getting a wolf 18.5 mainspring before shooting any plus p ammo. Also years ago I had a smith and Wesson model 39 and I made up a load using a 158 grain roundnose meant for the 38 special and loaded it with Unique powder and it was a mild load but had enough power to reliably cycle the action and had no feeding problems and I will probably try working up that load again. Reloads with cast bullets really save some money. I get lead from my local recycling yard and have a good supply of wheelweights on hand which are just about the perfect lead alloy for bullets.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Looking forward to hearing more about that loading Borg...