Hammer spur...

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by DLuke, Apr 4, 2014.

1. DLuke

DLuke Copper BB

I have a new BLR pistol grip 7mm-08. I know that Browning does not recommend the use of a hammer spur on the rifles with the folding hammer. What is the very specific reason that they do not recommend it?? I came across a spur that fits it beautifully and in no way interferes with the cycling of the action. I have not, and will not, shoot it with the spur on their until I know it would be definitely safe and not particularly harmful to the gun. If cocking with spur puts too much torque on the two piece hammer, well I don't shoot enough to worry about that and would just replace the hammer in 25 or so years. If it is an internal torquing, again, I'm not sure I shoot enough to worry about that...plus I would likely only use the outer portion of the extension during a hunting situation just a few times a year. Can anybody tell me exactly why they don't recommend spurs on these guns?? Thank you in advance!!
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hey Dluke, welcome to the browning owners community!! Not sure if I have ever seen/heard the exact reason why browning doesn't recommend hammer extensions on the newer BLR. What some say is that it hinders the folding feature of the BLR but never tested it myself. I have also seen guys put extensions on but they never are a nice fit because no one really makes the exact fitment for the newer style or alteast what I have seen.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum DLuke !!
  4. DLuke

DLuke Copper BB

Thanks shooter!!