Hornay Lite for my BLR

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by martin610, Feb 7, 2014.

1. martin610

martin610 .22LR

Hi Guys,

You may seem the new Hornaday Lite ammo. I picked up a box in .308 to give it a try. I'm in the 'fixing it up to suit me' phase of BLR ownership. Its a new to me rifle, made in 2009. Pretty good shape when I got it, just a few small nicks in the furniture. It didn't look like it had been fired really.

I have been using some PMC ammo from the LGS. Worked well, cycled pefectly, decent groups.

However, the Hornady Lite won't chamber! That was a surprise.

Since the rifle was used I suspected a dirty chamber. No big deal.

Got a chamber brush and solvent went to work. Didn't see any real fouling though.

Back to range. First two Lite rounds chamber. After that, bolt would not close.

PMC ammo still works fine.

Anyone else ever seen this with a BLR? Does it have a particularly tight chamber?

Or maybe the new Lite ammo is a little out spec?

-martin
  2. Rahn H

Rahn H .22LR

I would say my 7mm-08 has a loose chamber. I've only used Hornady American Whitetail factory ammo, and Winchester brass for reloads.

When shooting the Hornady and putting the empties back in the styrofoam, I noticed the empties sit higher than the unfired rounds.
  3. martin610

martin610 .22LR

I picked up a box of Remington CoreLokt and a box of Federal. Both PSP 150 grain bullets. Both types worked flawlessly. They chambered, fired, ejected, no problem. The gun just doesn't like Hornady.

I am a little surprised, but glad I don't have an issue as long as I stay away from Hornady.