BLR Scout Rail Question

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by martin610, Feb 3, 2014.

1. martin610

martin610 .22LR

Hi,

Hoping someone else here has used the BLR Scout Rail. I went with that as it was made for the rifle and I thought it a good choice to build a BLR scout.

Here's what my new to me .308 BLR looks like:

My question is with the scope rings. I am trying the Warne QD rings, which have a stainless steel bar that mates to the rail. At least on most rifles.

My scope has worked loose, which could have been operators/installer error.

However, I noticed that the BLR rail mount has round slots, not square like a picatinny.

Here's a photo:

Am I trying to fit a square peg in a round hole? Maybe these rings don't work well with this rail?

Have other people use the Warne rings for this setup? If not, what did you use?

Thanks.

-martin

Attached Files:

2. martin610

martin610 .22LR

Well, I'm able to answer some of my own questions. Turns out the BLR scout rail is made by Talley. Seems to be a pretty good company, they make some good stuff.

I called Browning customer service yesterday. I noticed that the web site states that Browning rings are not compatible with the scout rail. That was confusing. The customer service rep didn't know any details so he gave a number for Talley.

I spoke to a guy named Chris at Talley, very nice guy. He tells me Talley does indeed make that rail and the BLR scout rail is indeed a picatinny spec rail. Sure doesn't look like it in the photos. I'm used to seeing a picatinny mount with very defined channels cut into it. Browning's comments about ring compatibility were a surprise to him.

After looking a the Talley web site, I went back to the Browning web site. Those Browning rings look like Talley manufacture with the Browning logo! Strange.

Anyway, with a better understanding of the rail I took everything apart. In looking at the Warne rings, I decided to re-assemble them with less clearance at the bottom of the rings. I tightened them up to the point where they grip the recoil key so it doesn't fall out. I then put the scope and rings back on the rail and I could feel it seat much more securely. Almost 'clicked' in.

Then I got everything leveled up and torqued down. I think I'm good.

Need to take it out to the range and see what happens after I pour more .308 through it.
  3. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

hey Martin, thanks for the update. sounds like you were able to get to the bottom of it. let us know how it does at the range once you take it back.
  4. martin610

martin610 .22LR

It's doing well now that I have my ammunition problem figured out. My gun just can't digest Hornady.

I am shooting 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. That might improve once I get used to the trigger.
  5. martin610

martin610 .22LR

This rifle is working very well now. Seems to like Federal 150 grain the best. I shot this group on Saturday. If I miss with this rifle it's my own fault! The first two are dead on, the third started to wander a bit. Probably the barrel getting hot. See the photo.

Attached Files:

6. CenTex

CenTex Copper BB

What is the problem with Hornady? I was about to order Hornady White Tail .308Win/150g for my new BLR and first .308. Cabela's has it online as of five minutes ago but it might be gone now...
  7. martin610

martin610 .22LR

The Hornady ammo does not chamber in my rifle. Tried a couple of different boxes. My chamber may be too tight for it. I have successfully used Remington, PMC, and Federal. No problem at all with those.
  8. Cspenser

Cspenser Copper BB

I just bought a PG Takedown in 7mm-08 and I'm also going to install the scout mount with a Leupold scout scope and QD rings. Which height rings did you install? I was thinking the low height, but not sure if they will clear the sight at the end of the barrel.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Cspenser !!
  10. MyBrowning8

MyBrowning8 Copper BB

When using the Browning scout mount on the barrel of a BLR Lightweight '81 Stainless Takedown in .270 what eye relief distance should I be generally looking for when purchasing a scout (or long eye relief) scope. Thanks for the help.