Sticky Bolt BLR 81

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by gwtx, Sep 12, 2013.

1. gwtx

gwtx Copper BB

Hi folks. I'm new to the forum, been lurking some. Nice folk with knowledge they are willing to share. Thanks. I have a model 81 that I have not shot in a while. It's been in the closet for a year or so. I decided to take it out and shoot it. Fired first round and it stuck. Had to really pull on the lever to get it loose. Using Federal American Eagle 150gr sp. I fired the next round same thing. I remember this rifle was always a little "tight" to eject, but nothing like this. I shot five rounds, with the same result. The last round, I let cool for a bit before attempting to eject. It might have been a little easier, but still tough. NO other signs of pressure . When I put it away last year, I oiled it a little more than normal. I Cleaned it before I shot it. The first 3 rounds I shot were as I said Fed Am Eagle, then I switched to Remmy core lokt 150gr, same results. The rifle has never been apart since I've owned it(15yrs or so). I do my own "minor" smith work, but I'm not sure I want to get into this thing on my own, and I don't know a smith I trust well enough to do it.
    ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Gary
  2. Did you use WD 40? That will gum it good. I would use a degreaser of some kind and clean it very good and try again. If your thinking of taking it apart make sure you research it first. Its very difficult to get the timing right on the gears.
  3. gwtx

gwtx Copper BB

Thanks Hank. I don't keep wd 40 even close to the "work station". :) Good stuff, use it for lots of other things, but yes , I've seen even gum up an "squirter type" oil can to where it wouldn't work. I use CLP for guns and some other stuff as well. I cleaned the rifle with a foam bore cleaner before firing, and maybe didn't get it all out of the chamber. Gonna give it a good cleaning with "brake parts" cleaner, then CLP, and see what happens. I have read some horror stories about folks taking BLR's apart just to clean them, and have to take'em to a smith to get put back together. Some smiths won't touch'em either. I have to get a slip on recoil pad if I'm going to shoot it very many times in one sitting cause it kicks my old shoulder pretty hard.
    Thanks again for the reply, was beginning to think this was a dead catagory since it had been a long time since the last post. Great website for great guns. Gary