Browning BLR 222

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by shaynewin, May 1, 2013.

1. shaynewin

shaynewin Copper BB

Hi all new to the forum, having previously visited as a guest thought I would register, ask the question and see if anyone can help. I know the BLR 222 was made from 1985 to 1990 is there anyway to find out how many were made in 222 Rem calibre?

cheers Shayne
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

hey Shayne, welcome to the browning owners community!! Not sure how many were made in the 222 caliber but ill see if i can do some digging to find out. you looking to pick one up or do you already own one?

BTK
  3. shaynewin

shaynewin Copper BB

Hi BTK have got one myself, which I love but don't see many around so started thinking "wonder how many they made"? Personally I have used both steel frame and aluminium BLR's and see the lightning model is now in 223, just my opinion but like the steel frame best. Nice to be on board :)

shayne
  4. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

post some pics when you get a chance, would love to see how it looks.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!
  6. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Tangential to the OP, perhaps, but there was an un-cataloged run of BLRs made in 222 Remington in 2012, as I recall, for shop called Kones Korner. At least 100 of them, maybe a couple hundred; I don't remember.
  7. Scrumbag

Scrumbag .410

I'd love a .222 BLR but you just don't see that many BLRs over here :(
  8. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

I have kept an eye open for a BLR in 222 for over 20 years and have yet to see one.
    I settled for a BLR in 223 :)
  9. Scrumbag

Scrumbag .410

Regretably ,223 cause me problems with les Francais...
  10. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

I have a Ruger Mini-14 that was meant for export but somehow ended up in Ohio
  11. Scrumbag

Scrumbag .410

Now that is interesting hair trigger. Mind you, I saw a colt AR in .222 once...
  12. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

There is a BLR 222 barrel on eBay now, not mine.
    Here is my Mini-14
    [​IMG]
  13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

The .223 Remington (5.56x45mm) is a cartridge developed from the .222 Remington by a collaboration of Remington and Armalite.

The .223/5.56x45 was developed to fit the action length of the new XM16E1 ( M16 ) service rifle, which was originally a scaled down version of the Armalite AR10 in 7.62 ( .308 ) designed by Eugene Stoner in 1954.

The .223/5.56mm quickly became popular as a civilian cartridge because of the availability of brass, and the chambering of commercial varmint rifles in that caliber.
  14. wags2477

wags2477 Copper BB

G'day. I was lucky enough to pick up a 1985 BLR in 222 just yesterday after looking for a couple of years.
    It will be used for our Australian Lever Action competition punching holes in paper silhouette targets out to 100m, from various positions.
    For the purposes of the Comp the rifle will be rebarrelled with a 24-25" SS match barrel, peep sights and a montecarlo stock. Rest assured all the bits will be kept and restored later.
    Low recoil, easy to load for and as accurate as hell.
    Cheers
    Wags