BLR Optics

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by PAtoNH, Jan 9, 2013.

1. PAtoNH

PAtoNH Copper BB

What do you prefer for your BLR?

Open sights?
    Scopes? (fixed? variable? 2-7x... 3-9x?)
    Red Dots? (I like the way this looks: http://www.americanrifleman.org/Webcont ... ning_m.jpg )
    Scout or receiver mount?

I've got an 81 takedown (7mm-08 rem) on the way and will probably shoot it a bit with open sights before I decide which way to go.

- Mike
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

i Think it really depends on what your trying to use the BLR for. Red dot + magnifier is a really nice setup but isn't cheap if you do it right.I have a 3x9 50mm redfield scope on my Mossberg 4x4 that i mainly use for deer hunting and the scope works great.
  3. PAtoNH

PAtoNH Copper BB

What magnifiers are worth looking into (assuming an Aimpoint red dot)?

I have a bunch of scopes floating around but none with enough eye relief for a scout mount. Your Mossberg is a natural for the Redfield. Hoping others will chime in.

- Mike
  4. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Mike,
    I like the look and lines of a small variable (like this Leupold 1.5x5) on my BLR. I may change the rings to quick detachable one day but for now these stay.
  5. PAtoNH

PAtoNH Copper BB

Setters4life,
    I agree, this scope looks very nice on the BLR. How are you using your rifle?

I've been planning on hunting deer in NH and PA forests so most shots will be short range in pretty dense conditions. In poor light, my eyes struggle to focus rear and front sights so I may need optics at some point.

Thanks for your input. The photo is very helpful!

-Mike
  6. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

The 1.5X5 was mounted on a Marlin .444 for the last three decades. It was my go-to rifle for PA & NY. I go tired of it and became interested in the .25's. So, I used the scope I had. I'll make a decision if it suits my needs with that rifle but it should be fine.
  7. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

I had a Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40 scope mounted on my previous BLR Stainless TD in 243 - I will probably install a shorter scope on the new 308.

[​IMG]

Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned, but I prefer a scope on a hunting rifle because I need to be able to place the round precisely or not take the shot. OTOH, I prefer both a scope and a red dot on a tactical rifle because the target may be near or far & there's a potential for the target shooting back. While I run both on my AR, my wife runs red dots exclusively on her AR and Mini-14.

http://www.serenitysys.com/shooting/guns/Ruger_Mini_14/Ruger_Mini_14_IMG_4581.jpg
  8. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

I 'prefer' open sights on a BLR because of best cheek weld with the stock that way, and perhaps a tiny smidgen of faux nostalgia. However, the reality is that I pretty well need a scope these days for typical hunting ranges out West, so I have a VX-II on mine.
  9. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I agree with you on the vintage look. But once you start hunting with a scope it's hard to go back...
  10. talkinghorse

talkinghorse .22LR

My shots are typically ~100 yds. I have a 2x7 on my Marlin 336 and a 3x9 Bushnell Elite on the BLR. The Elite is a good quality scope, it's reasonably priced and I really like the Rain Guard coating on the lenses...it works like Rain X on your windshield. You can see out of it very well in rainy weather, and your breath won't cause the rear lens to "fog" over when you're trying to hold steady on "the big one" on a cold morning.
  11. joester

joester .22LR

I'm sold on illuminated reticle scopes. Most of my BLRs have them. Leuopold makes some good ones. i have a Zeiss Duralyte on my rebarrelled .375 BLR dangerous game rifle. When hunting in dim light or on a black target ( bear, cape buffalo) , they really shine ( pun intended).
  12. I like the 3x9 Redfield. Its made by Leopold in Oregon by americans. It has a long eye relief, good for the 450, and very clear optic. The 3 power is good for the wooded areas I hunt and the 9 power is good for scoring targets at 100 yds. The price is good for a better than average scope.
  13. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Anyone ever use a peep sight on their BLR?
    Wade66 likes this.
  14. ctballos

ctballos Copper BB

Hi Setters4life, I just ordered peep sights from http://www.skinnersights.com/browning_30.html I've been a squirrel hunter for the most part and I always had great luck with open sights on my air guns. One year I put a decent scope on my Air Ranger and couldn't hit shi!. This year I decided to go Deer hunting and bought a nice Browning BLR WGM. I'm not mounting a scope on it and ordered the sights above for it. Can't wait til they come in and spend a morning sighting in.
  15. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum ctballos !!

When you find the time, post some pictures of your new Browning BLR WGM in the appropriate sub forum...
  16. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Agree. Post a pic. Would be interested to see how the Skinner sights look on your BLR.
  17. ctballos

ctballos Copper BB

Her you go!

Attached Files:

18. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Looking good CT !!
  19. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Wow, that looks both sharp and utilitarian. (Pretty rifle by the way!)
  20. ctballos

ctballos Copper BB

Thanks guys. She's still a virgin,,, but the season coming fast.