X bolt stock

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by donutslayer, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Boyds is now making a laminated x bolt stock. If ya want a change or looking for a stock that wont break the bank and your not afraid of getting scratched, check them out. https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/
    Just a FYI, i'm retired and do not work for them.
  2. I have Winchester Model 70s with Boyd Black Laminate Pararie Hunter stocks. And by that I mean plural and they all fit as finished Short Action stocks Usually on .243 with no modification whatsoever. I tend to vastly prefer stainless barrel and action for those refits. I thought I was happy with the Winchester synthetic stocks. Compared to the Boyd they are not all that great. Unfortunately one of the best Browning X Bolts was the Black Laminate All Weather. Boyd by the way calls the Black Laminate Pepper. By far the accepted name for that color is black laminate. By the way in a military test when I was still doing that, the conclusion was the laminate stock was far superior to all synthetics including ultra expensive ones. However one drawback, perceived, was weight. Laminates weigh more. They are wood and greatly compressed glue. But they are tough and can be really beautiful and also.......very hard to see in the field. Actually superior often to Camo patterns! Boyd makes a great stock! They are reasonable in pricing. However there is a true downside to this....Recently the company made a,big play with their infinitely adjustable All in One stock, garish colors, stupid adjustable features that looked ridiculous, and they got pushed really, really hard. When one tries to order a standard stock today...YOU Probably won’t even get a return call!
  3. The Browning 2018 Master Catalog is the last offering by Browning to produce rifles with the Dura Touch finish on the stocks. Way too many failures, the X Bolt Weather, the XBolt Pro, and the various wood stocked rifles are all holding up well. So the synthetic DuraTouch coating needs replacement! What will be that replacement? Meanwhile a Brown Laminate 1988 tough and handsome stocked produced in .223 Remington Winchester Model 70 got a massive amount of bids on Gun Broker Auction when it went up for sale used. That stock had not one bad mark and proved it was rugged and attractive.

The X Bolt Hunter represents a Browning product line that will outpace the Dura Touch in terms of longevity and ultimately customer satisfaction. What then will replace the easily badly blemished Dura Touch? We know that finish hated oils, grease, insect repellent, etc.! The military and Chuck Hawks rates laminates as the best and toughest. Still the question of weight is a problem. The solution to rifle weight is NOT thinning the barrel to the point it loses many desirable properties of a hunting rifle. Wrap around coatings have come and gone with considerable speed. If your synthetic stocked rifle is OK count your blessings. But do not count on it becoming a “collectors” item.

Injection molded synthetic stocks are actually outperforming wrapped outer Camo with supposedly ideal gripping surfaces. The verdict is plain and simple, it ain’t working. Add another great defect of some synthetics, poor performance in high and low heat. The XBolt Pro sure has a stock finish that may prove quite ideal. Yet to hear a single bad report there. On the other hand I am not answering calls at the Browning cooperate office. Only with input from owners like You All can we make the best choices for our next rifle purchase!
  4. I personally would love a hs precision stock for the x-bolt. But I guess I will have to settle fot a boyds or mcmillian.