X-Bolt Scope Power Choice Question

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by Wren1911, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Wren1911

Wren1911 .22LR

IMG_0083.JPG A buddy of mine cut me a real good deal on a Burris veracity 5x25-50 30mm tube rifle scope.To be honest I really like the scope.The plan for the rifle is to be used as a hunting rifle but to target shoot with it from time to time.I can send it back and go with a 3-15x50 or 4-20x50.My question is should I keep it or change it out for a lower power scope?Dont judge it by the tactical turrets,it also came with capped turrets that are easy to swap out.I have a Burris xtrII on my ruger precision in a 5-25x50 34mm tube with the same retical.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Keep the Burris you got...you can use it for both hunting and target.

{ That is a typo...the Burris 5x25-50 power typed above right ? ...It should read 5-25x50 right ? }
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
  3. Wren1911

Wren1911 .22LR

It is a Typo 5-25x50 on both scopes,both have scr-MOA reticals.The lower power scopes do not offer. scr-MOA retical.I figure if I get proficient with the retical on the ruger it should translate over when hunting.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Copy that...

Yup...
  5. Planetcat

Planetcat .410

What caliber and what do you hunt?
    Rob poston likes this.
  6. Wren1911

Wren1911 .22LR

.308, I'm just getting into hunting.Proably nothing larger than deer or pig.
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good choice... the .308 will drop both with authority.
  8. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Give this a try. Find a target the size of an average pig (a bail of hay, a small doghouse, very large box, etc.) Holding the scope, target in on the object. Get as close as you can get, until the scope begins to be inaffective at it's lowest power.
    Now let me ask you this. Do you ever see a situation where an animal is so close in front of you, that you will need to back your scope down to anything less than this distance to take your kill shot?
    The .308 shoots hot and flat. If you get into hunting in broad, open territory, you may want to stretch that scope out to 25X, but will you really need to take an animal so close that 5X would be too much magnification? While most people around these parts typically hunt in the 3-9X and 4-12X power ranges, out West where the hunting grounds are not as wooded as here, a longer range scope would definitely come in useful... especially when hunting pig (not the animal you want to snuggle up to.)
    As an added benefit, 25X is a decent magnification for mid-range target shooting.
    All in all, it is your call, as any of these scopes should work fine for hunting, as well as a multitude of other tasks. Since you already have a similar setup on your Ruger, I would keep what you've got.
    Just my $0.02.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  9. Wren1911

Wren1911 .22LR

I am out west and the area I'm in has no trees.
  10. Wren1911

Wren1911 .22LR

So I think I'll just keep the scope I have.Next issue,ring height.I ordered some 1" tall rings but I'm pretty sure they are just going to be too tall.I borrowed the scope and rings off the ruger.Those rings are 1.5" tall.I then just set the veracity on the picatiny rail on the x-bolt.I'm thinking .75 or .85 tall rings or ditch the rail and go with a mount.I really like the height it's at just setting on the rail. IMG_0086.JPG IMG_0087.JPG
    Planetcat and Rob poston like this.
  11. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Just remember, the taller the rings, the more you will come off plane. The more you come off plane, the smaller your kill zone range will be.
    Go too tall, you miss 'em all. Set it low, you're good to go.
  12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

13. Wren1911

Wren1911 .22LR

Will do,I'm working on finding a shorter set of rings.I may ditch the picatiny rail and go with a one piece mount instead.
    Rob poston likes this.
  14. cupton

cupton .410

Ive been really happy with my one piece DMZ Game Reaper mount on my X-Bolt. Ive got a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 mounted in it. My scope is a bit different than yours though, so maybe this reply is of no help to you at all. ;)
  15. Wren1911

Wren1911 .22LR

That's the mount I was planing to use.I had one on my original x-bolt.I went from a long action to a short action.Also from a 1" scope to a 30mm.Im thinking the medium height will clear by a hair.
    Mediums are 1.06 highs are 1.19.
  16. cupton

cupton .410

Yea, mine is a medium height too and its got a little clearance from the barrel. I'm thinking that the 50mm might just fit. Don't quote me on that though.
  17. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Good deal. A good set of rings can even give you a little better stability for increased accuracy, too (though most people will never be able to see the benefits of this). I personally am a fan of Leupold rotary dovetail locking rings and bases, personally. Don't forget to zero your scope out before mounting it, and remember to center align your rings.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  18. Wren1911

Wren1911 .22LR

I'm thinking so,the tube on the scope is very long.Would you mind posting a picture of yours?
  19. Wren1911

Wren1911 .22LR

I was looking at those at the gun store,They maybe another option.I zeroed out the scope earlier before work and swapped out the exposed knobs for the capped ones.I may run the exposed for the elevation,I'll have to see when I get it setup.
    Rob poston likes this.
  20. Wren1911

Wren1911 .22LR

So I decided to get arts and crafty today.If the medium dnz mount is 1.06 from reciver to the top of the lower ring half and I have a 30mm tube.Minus 15 mm should be 15/32 from reciver to bottom of scope tube.I made a mockup mount to check.If my Calculations are correct medium will be good to go.Eye relief and check weld are perfect at this height.

Edit:did the same math Process with my 10/22 dnz game reaper 1"tube. Measurement came out perfect to what was there.So medium height it is.

IMG_0094.JPG IMG_0091.JPG IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0092.JPG
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Planetcat likes this.