x bolt freebore

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by handloaded, Aug 10, 2012.

1. handloaded

handloaded Copper BB

I've gotten around to reloading for my 22-250 Xbolt and after gathering some measurements, I've been scratching my head and talking to myself in a surly manner....thought I'd load some Hornady 55 grn.
    Vmax, so I measured freebore and made up a dummy round that would chamber .005 off the lands. It
    wouldn't go in the mag. I've encountered the problem before. It's a polymer mag so I was able to "stretch
    it some" with a dremel so that I could load a Vmax dummy round into the mag that would chamber .010 off the lands. I can certainly live with that...or so I thought. Not able to chamber the round from the mag 'cause it "hangs up" on the bottom side of the feed ramp. I thought, "how deep am I gonna have to seat this bullet in order to clear the feed ramp?" I found out. Let me bore you all with some numbers...
    22-250 x bolt chamber/freebore measures .148 (Using RCBS Precision Mic Guage and double checking with Hornady COAL tool)
    Vmax 55 grn. round seated to "just clear" the feed ramp when fed from the mag. Freebore on this round
    is .025 So what I have is .148 minus .025 equals .123 of bullet jump. That is unbelievable! That's an eighth of an inch of bullet jump! As I see it, I have 2 choices....load em up long and close to the rifling til I see what she likes to eat and have a bolt action single shot rifle or find a good gunsmith and see about having that feed ramp opened up some. I bet ole John Moses would even shake his head on this one. Anybody else come across this "design flaw" also? Thanks...
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

hey handloaded, welcome to the Browning Owners Community!!! sorry to hear about your problem, unfortunately i dont have an xbolt so not much help hear but maybe someone else on hear can chime in.

BTK
  3. Temp430

Temp430 Copper BB

Interesting. I purchased an X-bolt micro Midas for my son. The rifle shoots tiny groups with a variety of ammo. Except a box of Federal's load with Barnes 85 gr. TSX. Those shot about 4" groups which was very perplexing since I had great luck with that bullet in other rifles. Then a reloader told me told me that the solid copper Barnes bullets only shoot well if loaded so that they contact the lands; otherwise, it can be ugly. Has anyone got decent results from a X-bolt with a solid copper bullet, hand loaded or manufactured?
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!