Wood Refinishing Projects

Discussion in 'Browning Citori Shotgun' started by rcatastrophe, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

The next project requires some new tools, one arrived today and I got a chance to do a little playing around with it. Pretty neat stuff. I will post more info once someone figures out what it is and what it’s used for, I can only post one side of it cause the name will give it away. 750597A0-5BA3-4953-B3DD-29F4EC9614A2.jpeg
  2. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

That’s an interesting looking device. I can’t figure out what it does though. Looks a little like my arrow fletching jig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

So the pictured tool is called a leather skiver. It has a very sharp razor blade that will take different thickness off the leather. It takes some practice, as I have found out. I bought some cheap leather to play with. With a couple hours of practice I can get down to .020-.022 thickness. The target is .020. This makes the leather very workable to be able to shape. This is what it looks like when you start to remove the first cut.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  4. Ranger6

The end result is to have a leather covered pad on the Stevens. The leather is goat skin and is pretty pricey so practice is key. I’m going to do a practice run with cheaper leather.
  5. Ranger6

Go here to watch it done by rich Cole.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Can’t wait to see your handy work