Wood Refinishing Projects

Discussion in 'Browning Citori Shotgun' started by rcatastrophe, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Good deal! I will follow suit as we talked about. A little thought before hand. The thought came to mind that it would be nice to have a place to show the different colors, methods and products used in finishing some stocks, because I see some pictures of nice wood, but they don’t ever say what it is or how it’s done. I searched for several weeks looking for a finish that I wanted on my Stevens stock, nothing really stood out, so hopefully this will help the next guy.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Any way, not much of a wood guy, but I can force myself to do it. This is tru-oil hand rubbed finish. Not sure how many coats, stopped counting at 13, but basically thin coats to build up the surface, sand your normal 320, 400, 800 and maybe even 1200. This was done about a year ago and it has stood up to Texas heat, rain and sweat pretty well.

Attached Files:

3. Ranger6

Next would be a new product to me called timberluxe. Once again hand rubbed, fill the grain with the slurry finish. It is probably the most forgiving of finishes I have tried thus far. The complete kit comes with #2 oil and some walnut stain. The timberluxe is pictured below. This is the Stevens stock with about 5-6 coats and then stained with the walnut stain 1 time. The thing about timberluxe is you can stain over it and then apply more #2. The owner’s name is Brian and he is a really nice guy that you can reach by email. I like the stain look, but not sure how much protection it will give without coats of #2 on top. This stock was one of the 90% deals, and had very open grain. I applied 2 coats of #2 and started sanding with 320. No slurry formed. I called Brian and he said just keep adding until I got the slurry to form. So new wood will soak up a bunch. Then on the 3rd coat I got slurry and the pores started filling in. I fill the pores with 400 grit. Then I stained. I still have a few more pores to fill in and then decide if it’s dark enough for my taste. More to follow.

Attached Files:

murphranch likes this.
  4. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Oh man I’ve got to try that Timberluxe. That’s freaking beautiful. I’m gonna have to go buy a new old gun to restore!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Ranger6

I would like to see it on an auto 5 stock if you need any help deciding what to buy. I spend others money pretty well.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

My latest set. I’m trying a different approach this time. I’ve got one more coat and I’m done. [​IMG] [​IMG]
  7. Ranger6

Looks awesome! Will you be sharing your trade secrets?
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yes sir, I am debating trying to darken it with some gel stain
  9. Ranger6

That’s been my major debate. I did it and actually liked how it looked. I don’t think you can go wrong with darker wood, but that’s just my personal preference.
  10. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Haha I don’t need help AT ALL! Santa was wonderful this year!!

[​IMG]

murphranch and win7stw like this.
  11. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Today will be the first day I skip rubbing oil. Just decided not to today. I’m a little dismayed that the fore stock is coming out so much lighter than the rear. It’s a pretty big difference and I’m wondering if I should start over, hit the front with a little coarser sandpaper to see if it takes the stain a little better?

12. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

These are exceptional. Wow nice job

13. Ranger6

Damn I guess he was. Congrats on the new toys. Santa must have got our address mixed up, make you a deal to spare the jolly fella. That straight stock probably not to your liking, so I'll just come pick that one up!
  14. Ranger6

how about some pictures so we can all see?
  15. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

This is the best lighting I can get. Sunlight woulda been better but you can see it.

[​IMG]

16. Ranger6

Wow that is different. That’s kind of strange. Seems like it’s not taking the stain.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’ve found if you go past 180 on some walnut it won’t take stain
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Damn that’s a fine Christmas
  19. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

I remember you saying that before and that’s what I was thinking, rough it up a bit. I looked at it some more. I’m gonna finish this round and if I hate it later I can do it over next year. That’s the good thing about all this practice, you can always do it again and all it really takes is time.

20. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Thanks Justin. This actually started a couple months back. I got the Gran and then I started looking around near Thanksgiving and saw Browning had a rebate and I was dying for a straight stock so I got the Superlight Feather and a $200 rebate. Later I was looking, I’m always looking, and I saw Reeds had a gun I couldn’t find on the Browning site. I was like “what is this”. I scoured the Internet and couldn’t find anything about it. What it weighed, what people thought, any videos, I couldn’t find Jack. So I bought it. I still can’t find anything to read about it there but I have it in my hands. A 16g Lightning Feather. It’s got 26” barrels and it weighs 6.2# on my scale. The Superlight is 6# but it has 28” and feels heavier when I pick it up, probably because the ass end is so light and I’m feeling the barrels. Hoping to get the Feather out SOON to see how it shoots. I just got it from the ffl yesterday. Telling myself I can’t buy any guns in 2022 unless I sell some and use the proceeds. Gotta kill this thing in me that’s saying it wants a 28g.