Why so little support from Browning?

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by Flintknapper, Aug 21, 2018.

1. By 'support' I mean in the form of spare/replacement parts. None (or few) seem to be available to customers. At best...you will find magazines being sold by certain vendors. At present...if there is breakage or a significant issue with your pistol, you are faced with sending it back to Browning for repair.

Also, I can find no exploded view or parts list for the 1911-380 beyond it being field stripped. Per their Owner's Manual....it is apparent they discourage disassembly beyond a simple field strip. Perhaps sound advice for the masses...but more than a few of us are fully capable of working on our own pistols.

I'm guessing at this juncture...parts are all being used for current manufacture and to some degree warranty repairs? I hope that in the near future this will change. Since the pistol is an 85% percent rendering of a normal 1911 (with a few other changes) all the parts are by default proprietary.

I would not expect at this point to see much 'after-market' support (currently a couple of recoil spring guides), because the demand simply isn't there (yet). But I WOULD expect Browning to step up and offer any 'wear' items (I.E. Recoil Springs, Magazine Springs and Followers, Magazine Base Plates, R/S Guide). These things will be needed by owners in the very near future.

That being said....I think it incumbent upon all 1911-380 owners to call and make aware the need for these things not only to Browning but to the aftermarket companies as well.

I'd love to see some 'Wolff' gun-springs (all of them) and some source for complete magazines (stainless or nickel plated).
  2. drewzter

drewzter .22LR

I called Browning to purchase a replacement recoil spring. They sent it and did not charge me so I am happy. I don't know what I don't know.
  3. Anyone know this to be true or not?

https://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?229-Browning-1911-22-and-1911-380-Black-Label

An excerpt from the article above:

“Browning's web site doesn't include any parts listings for the 1911-22 or the 1911-380, so I called Browning to ask about buying a safety. To my surprise, they informed me that they won't sell them. All "safety" related parts are "restricted," which means that you have to send the firearm to Browning for them to perform the installation. This includes the thumb safety, the grip safety, the trigger, and (now I'm guessing) probably also the sear and disconnector.

This is not good news for any 1911 aficionado who prefers to do his or her own gun-smithing. Personally, I like to maintain a modest cache of spare parts, and that's obviously a problem if the only source of spare parts won't sell them.”