What to get 16 or 12 gauge

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Lead ball, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

Hello I'm stuck I have a choice both auto 5s are about the same year, same condition and same price I know the ammo choice for 16 is limited and I don't reload but I don't shoot enough that I think it would matter anyways so if you had the choice for your first auto 5 what would you choose and why thanks and don't say both if I had the funds trust me I would
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I love my 16’s, but I shoot my Light Twelve more. If I had to pick one, it’d be the 12 gauge.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Well my answer isn’t that simple. I have a question, what is the intended use? Skeet, clay shooting or hunting? Then what kind of hunting? What is your physical condition, age and how often will you shoot it. The 12 is cheaper to shoot. The 16 has a smaller frame. There are a million 12’s. Not so many 16’s.
    I would have to say that my 16 did a very fine job on skeet field and it has less recoil. If you have a 16 then your one of the cool cats, cause most people have 12’s.
    If you should want to reload in the future,
    And it’s very enjoyable for me, more relaxing then anything, the 16 would be the best cause reloading the 12 anymore isn’t really cost savings when they are usually 4.99 a box. I guess it comes down to personal choice. Would you rather drive a Ferrari or a Ford? Now if you can have both, you got the best of both worlds.
    If your gonna shoot skeet with the 12 gauge it will get boring. Lot more challenging with a smaller bore.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don’t know, 1 oz. vs 1 1/8 oz. How many Golden BB’s do you think are in that extra 1/8 ounce of shot? I will say I shot two rounds of Skeet tonight with a 16, and two with a 12. The “Light” Twelve felt like a ton of bricks after the circa 1911 16.

Something to consider though is the choke. Get the one that’s choked for what you’ll be using it for. Personally, I like PolyChokes. They work well enough, and lower the price of guns a hundred or two. For me, it’s win-win.
    [​IMG]
  5. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

Well I wouldn't be shooting a great deal mostly informal clay pigeon with friends and family at the gravel pit hunting mostly Grouse,Pheasant and maybe turkey so I was leaning towards the 16 and go from there. This will be my first auto 5 I had a Remington 11 back in the early 90s not sure why it left me I just know that style fits a shoulders better than anything I have tried.
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

The 16 is an awesome bird gun. I don’t shoot 1 1/8 anymore. I shoot way to much. You can do the same thing with 7/8 or 1 oz on the skeet field. 16 will do just fine on pheasant. I haven’t done any turkey hunting in years, I usually use a 10 gauge for that.
    The poly choke works. Just not a fan. It’s ugly and way to big to have on the end of my barrel. If that’s all that is available then yes it’s better then no choke, but the screw in chokes have been perfected down to the T. They can be put in almost everything now so why not.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  7. Either will suffice for what you are wanting. It really comes down to personal preference. 16 gauge cartridges are not as hard to find as some would make you think. Personally for a first Auto 5 I would probably go with a 12. They are just more of them so your initial investment will be lower.
  8. Ranger6

Aubie can you buy just one? These things are like chocolate. You can’t just have one. Either one he gets it won’t be long until he gets another.
  9. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

Both are the same price and ammo is easy enough to come by for the 16 I just haven't held or looked at the 16 close yet I'm trying to a range that the 12 has a crack in the forearm but I can fix that other wise the wood is okay it's going to be a shooter so I was planing on refinishing the wood which ever on I get
  10. Ranger6

Well which ever one you get, you will be happy with. You can’t go wrong with an A5 in my book. Best semi auto ever made.
  11. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

I know what's going to happen. I get the 12 I'll want the 16 I get the 16 I'll want the 12 is it true that the 16 is built on the 20 gauge receiver
  12. Ranger6

The 16 was a complete new design. It is close to the 20, but not really built on the 20 frame. Some are scaled down, from some manufacturers, but not the 16 a5. The light 20 is pretty light. I will have to see which weighs more. I bet Rudolph31 probably knows that.
  13. Ranger6

If weight is a concern then go with 16 for sure. My 12 mag is really heavy. Not sure I would want to carry it all day in the field. After about 6-7 rounds of skeet with either 12 mag or light 12 I am looking for a break.
  14. Lead ball

Lead ball .22LR

So is there a difference in size between sweet 16 and standard 16 or is a standard the same just what is referred to as a ghost 16 before they started using the term sweet 16
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

NO. The 20 is built on the 16’s. John Browning gave up on the 20 when he couldn’t make it significantly lighter than the 16. He felt the only reason to carry a less effective cartridge was to carry a lighter gun. They finally made a 20 gauge Auto-5 in 1958 — 32 years after his death.
  16. Ranger6

Well I stand corrected. I was thinking it was a complete new design. Thanks for setting that straight.
  17. Ranger6

From what I know, sure I will be corrected if not, there were a few changes, but pretty much the same. I believe the sweet 16 had some holes drilled in barrel ring to help reduce weight, but don’t think it really saved to much. I know my Belgium 12 had holes drilled in the stock, and some metal removed from the receiver to make it lighter.
  18. Ranger6

The other thing you may wanna think about is the speed load function. Not for everyone, but I love it. My 16 does not have it, not even sure it can be done. All of my 12s have it. Some I converted and some came like that. It can be a lot of work to convert it but it can be done.
  19. Ranger6

So wait a minute. I just read the whole 16/ 20 thing again. If the 20 was made 32 years after his death then I was right. The question was is the 16 built off the 20 gauge frame. Not the other way around.......
  20. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The Sweet Sixteen is just a lightened version of the standard model. But they didn’t engrave the name on the receiver for the first 12 years, hence the terms “Ghost” and “Stealth”.

There’s a whole thread on the subject in this forum.