What Shells Can I Shoot ?

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by electrician270, Aug 31, 2013.

1. electrician270

electrician270 Copper BB

I have a Belgian Browning AUTO-5 made in 1946 I just bought , it says ( *SPECIAL STEEL 12 GAUGE SHELLS 2 3/4 INCH) stamped on the barrel. Can anyone tell me what shells are safe to shoot in the shotgun like is 2 3/4 the longest , can I shoot slugs, 00 buckshot , magnum shells, etc. Oh and what does the stamping on the barrel mean? (SPECIAL STEEL?) Any education you can give me here will be GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANKS TO EVERYONE! Oh and if it matters the barrel is solid rib 30 inch?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Re: WHAT SHELLS CAN I SHOOT???

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Yes...2 3/4" is the longest shell that can be used.

No to slugs, 00 / 000, and magnum shells...

I could not find a source for the "Special Steel" Shells
  3. electrician270

electrician270 Copper BB

Thanks for the info SHOOTER13 and if you come across any info on that SPECIAL STEEL stamping on the barrel let me know buddy THANKS AGAIN! I APPRECIATE IT!
  4. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I dont own an A5 but i have heard that it is not recommended to shoot stell shot out of the older A5 with anything tighter than a Mod choke. I have seen pics of barrels gettng the bulge with chokes tighter than that. Good luck with the gun and post some pics when you get a chance, would love to see it. All the best.

BTK
  5. electrician270

electrician270 Copper BB

Thanks BillyTheKid I cant figure out how to post an image here man ??? I click on image and something comes up but I cant attach a file ???? If I could I would show you a 16 gauge I just bought made in 1925 Belgian before they even started putting Sweet 16 on them !
  6. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

As others said, don't shoot steel shot out of the barrel, but there's no reason you can't shoot buckshot or slugs through it.

I would not put a slug down an old Full choke barrel, but Modified through Cylinder should be fine.
  7. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

BTW, that single "*" means it's a Full choke barrel, so I'd avoid slugs through it, but you probably could shoot them without anything blowing up. But I probably wouldn't...
  8. electrician270

electrician270 Copper BB

Thanks for the advice DallasCMT1 all help APPRECIATED !