What is my Hi Power worth?

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by Addison Everett, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Addison Everett

Addison Everett Copper BB

Hello Browning experts. I recently purchased a browning hi power 9mm for my collection, hoping it would increase in value and be worth a little more than I paid for it. After I got it in my possession, I started to wonder if I overpaid for it. Can someone tell me if mine is a true browning and the approximate value?

It is a 1986 Browning Hi Power, polished blue in excellent shape, made in Belgium. It is very near mint condition. Wood grips
    Serial number starts with 245pt, which the browning website says indicates it is a 9mm made in 1986.
    Serial numbers match.
    One side says Fabrique Nationale, which I understand to mean its made by FN.
    The interesting thing is that the front AND rear sights are fixed. The rear blade sights have a rectangular cutout, which I understand to be true to browning, but they are not adjustable. This made me wonder if it was legitimate.
    Does not have a ring hammer.

I paid 890 for it.

Thank you ahead of time to whoever can help me!
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

First, FN had the right to use the name “Browning” for many years, then in the ‘70’s they bought the company. So even if it doesn’t have Browning’s Utah address on it, it’s still a Browning if it was made by FN.

I dislike Browning’s website, but in this case I agree, 1986. This site is more reliable:
    http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940941/serialization-date of manufacture.pdf

As for value, the best way to know what guns are selling for is to go to Gunbroker, Advanced Search, Completed Items.

Oh, I think most Hi Powers have fixed sights. But there seems to be many variations.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  3. Addison Everett

4. Addison Everett

Rudolph, thanks a lot for the helpful response. It does have the Utah address on it. I have used gunbroker but didnt know how to find the completed sales so thats very helpful. Sounds like I have a legitimate FN Browning. Now to investigate the actual present value. Thanks again.

If anyone has any other helpful information it would be much appreciated.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. 5Wire

5Wire Copper BB

Here's my track on the BHP, prices are mostly from completed GB auctions:

Browning Hi-Power Pistol in 9x19. Blue Book of Gun Values (39th Edition) indicates between $595 in 95% condition and $925 in 100% condition for this gun. I have 1741 recorded prices for this model gun from $315 to $3800 over a period of 7 Yrs 4 Mos ending May 30, 2019. The average price as of that date was $939. No refurbs, no refinishes, regular sights. Adjusted to two magazines. All represented as 95% or better. No distinction for import location or engineering revision, if any, no special editions, no distinctions for box, papers, tools. Current or last MSRP is $1200. The last 100 prices I have for this model since 01/01/2019 range from $700 to $3800 averaging $1379.